Go Down

Topic: Super Cheap 3D printed 12 DOF legs - Mega 2560  (Read 26 times) previous topic - next topic

Today at 12:00 am Last Edit: Today at 12:03 am by danphobic
Here's some 3D printed legs I am working on. Shame I can't embed the youtube vid, but here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnKWSwx22Us&feature=youtu.be

I'm trying to avoid using servos and all pre-made code/parts/systems etc as I am trying to build a much lower cost system for robotics. I believe that the current obsession with the most expensive servos and controllers is a problem. Robotics shouldn't just be for 40+ IT professional blokes.

These legs with the motors, drivers, rotary encoder sensors and Mega 2560 (clone) comes in at around £30.

As you can see, it's in the very early stages. I am basically trying to make a complex biped similar to NAO, Darwin, etc, for below £100. I reckon it's possible for £60.

I've written an arduino code that remember positions and recalls them when a number is entered into the serial, but now I need to write one that replays those positions over in sequences so I can form complex movements.

Will post some updates when I've got it walking!

Let me know what you think!

Today at 12:16 am Last Edit: Today at 12:17 am by danphobic
I should add, the 3D printed parts were designed in the 2008 free version of Google Sketchup, which is unfortunately no longer free. But luckily I still have it installed on my old macbook! With a little practice you can pretty much do everything you need interms of 3D printing.

I should also add, that whilst I'm using a clone Mega 2560 for this project I did buy the official Uno when learning bout arduino.

The parts were printed on the Velleman K8200 3d printer. The K8200, that's another story, it took me a whole weekend to build!!! But soooo worth it. I waited until maplins were offering it for £450 and snapped it up. I can see places on the internet offering for £400. Maplins now does it for £600. Feeling smug!!!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy