Go Down

Topic: FTDI232 vs ATmega8u (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

arduinohk

Hello everyone I'm new to Arduino and the forum.

The usb inteface on the UNO board changed to use ATmega8U, what are the major difference between them feature-wise and price-wise?

I noticed that there is a unique ID on chip on the FT232, how about the ATmega8U? Is it offering similar ID? If there is how hard / easy is it to retrieve from the host computer?

Thanks.

retrolefty

Dec 19, 2010, 04:51 am Last Edit: Dec 19, 2010, 04:52 am by retrolefty Reason: 1
The usb inteface on the UNO board changed to use ATmega8U, what are the major difference between them feature-wise and price-wise?

Functionally they are compatible for the purpose of communicating between a users sketch and the PC and of course downloading new sketches. I believe the bootloader loads faster on the uno but that is about only difference noticeable by the user. However the potential to utilize the 8u2 chip as a USB host or slave could be a real plus in the future. There are no Arduino supplied software to utilize that feature yet, but I'm sure useful libraries and applications will come along in time.

Lefty

Go Up