Poll
Question: Would like the 160x128 GLCD f/sparkfun ported to GLCD v.3?
Would liKe it to be included. - 33 (84.6%)
Don't care. - 5 (12.8%)
Wouldn't like it to be included. - 1 (2.6%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
Author Topic: Beta version of GLCD library version 3  (Read 21185 times)
London
Tesla Member
Have fun!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

An early beta release of the next version of the GLCD library is now available. It has higher performance, more features, supports more Arduino boards and is easier to integrate with different panels.

Sketches written for the previous version should work with little or no modification although the configuration mechanism has been changed to make it easier to use with a wider range of GLCD chips and ATmega controllers

Here is the library beta download.  Documentation in pdf format is here and there is also an HTML reference document in the docs directory of the installed download

A huge amount of work went into this version, particularly from Bill (bperrybap).
We would appreciate beta testers kicking the tires, please post in this thread how you get on.

Have fun!

Dallas, TX USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Some additional information about this library/code.

This glcd library is a beta release for a new glcd  library.
It is a replacement for the ks0108 library - http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/GLCDks0108

Because the library now supports other other glcds besides the ks0108 (currently only the sed1520 is operational), the name of the library was changed from "ks0108" to "glcd".

However, even though the library name was changed from "ks0108" to "glcd", both libraries cannot exist in your arduino environment.

So, to use this library, you will have to remove/uninstall any previous ks0108 library installation from your development environment.

See the readme.txt file in the zip image and the included HTML documenation in doc/GLCDref.htm, also in the zip image,  for further details.

--- bill

Office meets Adruino
View Profile

been wanting to play with this.

Thanks for the hard work writing it and releasing it, I will set a mega and a display up tonite and see what I can break. ;D

London
Tesla Member
Have fun!
View Profile

@copiertalk, looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Office meets Adruino
View Profile

Was just going through some of your examples. Pretty cool stuff. It looks like FPS has almost doubled plus a couple. The old example sketch showed 8 fPS while this one shows 16.07 or so.  

using this display http://www.wide.hk/pdf/YMG12864-5.pdf on a mega. It looks to have a different pinout than the ones in your instructions.

I will throw some graphics on it from my website and the project I am working on to it when I get a chance to play a little more with it.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I just tried this.. The fps is wayyy noticable smiley-wink. I'm getting 16.26 to 16.31 fps.
I also changed the EN pin in the arduino .h file to pin 3 (so could have i2c).

London
Tesla Member
Have fun!
View Profile

Good to hear its working well for you.
@copiertalk, could you post the operating system and Arduino version you are using

@chris mitchell, could you post your Arduino board type and operating system

thanks.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Arduino Duemilanove
Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit
Using ide 18
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 12:40:23 am by frostin » Logged

Office meets Adruino
View Profile

I am using version 19 of the ide on vista 32 bit.

Dallas, TX USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

@copiertalk, Version 19 of the IDE? I haven't seen that. Was it maybe 18?

I'm curious if anyone has run the diag sketch on their displays yet?
GLCDdiags really exercises the data interface to the module as it tests its memory. It also pushes diagnostic messages out the serial port.

I'm also curious on anyone's thoughts/comments on the documentation (PDF & HTML)
and how easy/obvious they thought it was to modify the proper config files for different pin configurations for their environment.

--- bill

« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 04:52:03 pm by bperrybap » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I ran most of examples except the all in one. Ran diag test at end test ok smiley.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I'm also curious on anyone's thoughts/comments on the documentation (PDF & HTML)
and how easy/obvious they thought it was to modify the proper config files for different pin configurations for their environment.

--- bill

I looked in it. Pretty good. I'm going to start on my project again tonight.

Office meets Adruino
View Profile

@copiertalk, Version 19 of the IDE? I haven't seen that. Was it maybe 18?

I'm curious if anyone has run the diag sketch on their displays yet?
GLCDdiags really exercises the data interface to the module as it tests its memory. It also pushes diagnostic messages out the serial port.

--- bill

It was/is version 18 of the IDE, that was a mistype on my part.

I Loved the new PDF but did not look at the HTML, I will have a look when I get a chance. The pinout for the display used is one I posted earlier and are widespread on ebay right now. The displays work fantastic but the pins are changed again. Let me know and I will send you one.

I did not modify any config files. I put the new library in the directory structure, uploaded the sketches and ran them On the previous set up I had already set up testing a display. In previous versions of the sketch I had to let the sketch know I was running a mega but I do not see that option with this library?

I had not run the diags but had noticed them, I will upload them in a minute and test them out with the display I have set up.

Dallas, TX USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

In previous versions of the sketch I had to let the sketch know I was running a mega but I do not see that option with this library?

I assume you mean previous ks0108 library.
The current glcd library automatically determines the AVR chip environment based on the Arduino board type selected in the IDE.

--- bill

London
Tesla Member
Have fun!
View Profile

The current glcd library automatically determines the AVR chip environment based on the Arduino board type selected in the IDE.
To be clear, the previous version of the library also automatically determined the chip based on the IDE board selection. This capability has been in the ks0108 library in the playground since release 1.1 (end of 2008), perhaps you were using an older version
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 02:04:51 am by mem » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
Jump to: