Arduino Midi Questions

I'm curious about this project too. I'm "trying" to make a 16 Track Midi sequencer with Drum-Machine. In my head it works, but I haven't got the time to make the code work in real life. LOL

Check this out: http://open.wusik.com

Specially the latest youtube video: http://youtube.wusik.com

Wk

Hey Guys.. Short update on my progress.

iZZE BOX 29.DEC.2010:

Hardware is 85 % finished. Just waiting for the New Arduino Mega so i can finally start coding the damn thing :smiley:

Greetz iZZE

Delay finished.
Amplifier working.
Runs good on Li-Po Battery (played 8 hrs and still 60 % full)
Did a Virtual Stereo setup. I used the Backside of the Membrane and made a small tunnel to the Openings on the Right Side which creates a perfect Stereo feeling.

Video 1

Video 2

greetz iZZE

Is that Tenacious D in the 2nd video :slight_smile:

You could put some explanation of what the buttons do so we can understand the what the effects are as you change them.

Well the Potentiometers from left to right are: Delay Blend, Time, Repeat Amount, and the toggle switch button on the top is from 600 to 1000 ms Delay Gate, and the other toggle button is ON/OFF
The Other Pots and Switches are for the Synthesizer and Midi Controller Section of the Device which isnt finished yet.

The six black buttons are to Play Midi Notes, the Right Pot is for Volume.. The small button (under the LED Matrix, hard to see in the video) is for changing Modes of Synthesizer/Midi Controller. The 2 Toggle Switches on the Side are for Loudspeaker or 6,3mm Output Jack switching, and the other is to turn on backup battery for amplifier (only for really extreme long and loud sessions to keep the power of the amp up).
The Jack on the Back is to Charge the battery.

On the Front we have 1x 6,3mm Jack OUTPUT (or input)
also 1x 3,5mm Audio Jack OUTPUT (or input)
1x USB Jack for connecting to PC and programming Arduino
2x Midi DIN Jacks (IN and OUTPUT with Status LED)
and a ON/OFF Switch for the whole device.

And of course, you were listening to Tenacious D :smiley: Gotta love em...

How did you go about making this up & who made the actual pieces, which I guess you ended up glueing together? I saw you had mentioned "the Ponoko site" a few posts back.

If you're still looking for a home for the damaged mega, I wouldn't having it to see about doing something with the damaged part, attempting a bypass or something.

Thanks
Robert

Hey.
I made this with a Vector Program (Adobe Illustrator)
This is not the actual vector i made this picture in photoshop so that i know how it would look like.
I forgot some holes when first making the vector, but i just drilled and cutted the rest out.

You can send the vectors to ponoko.com select material and so on, and they cut it out and send it to you. i am very happy with the quality. There are also samples online, and whenever something is wrong with your vector there is a popup that helps you out making it.

I glued it together yes only the top part is removable. I like the "puzzle design" without screws.

I still have the arduino mega but i currently use it as "planning dummy" to make thing fit around it and so on.

Greets patrick

"puzzle design", I was thinking in woodworking those would likely be called dovetail joints :slight_smile:

I found ponoko.com. I think I'll go play with it some. I have building projects into these Really Useful Boxes just to have something semi-final and the plastic is pretty easy to deal with for quickly drilling a few holes to secure a card to or to install a connecter into.

(odd - I just resized this photo to make it smaller, is still appearing as full size - even tho I deleted it & reposted it! Maybe a name change ... ok, that worked!)

looks cool.. whats your project about ?
I am sure you will find everything you need on ponoko.com
But for bigger Stuff it may be a little expensive for some people.
I am happy that i tried ponoko out. Next time i wouldnt take black acrylic though.. Very hard to keep clean.. but looks pretty awesome with the Blue/UV Light on...

I thought the black looked pretty sharp! I suppose it does show dust & fingerprints pretty quickly.

My project is fencing scoring machine. It has been added to since these pics.
The fencers have a 3-pronged bodycord that plugs into their weapon, that plugs into a 20-meter reel, that then plugs into the scoring machine. In epee, the end of the weapon has a little button, and when pressed against the opponent a group of 20 LEDs lights up to indicate a touch. There is a single LED for each side if the touch is made against the opponent's bellguard or a grounded metal floor (if used).
There is also a group of 3 LEDs for foil & sabre use, these are not programmed yet but would indicate a broken wire or a touch that is offtarget.
The referee controls the score (upper right & left), the time (bottom middle, also stops automatically when a touch is made).
The 8 digits are multiplexed and controlled by a max7221 that the arduino in the middle controls via SPI. The decimal points are used for: penalty warning (yellow card), penalty awarded (red card, and touch for the opponent), coin toss/priority (if 3:00 time runs out and score is tied, one fencer is randomly awarded priority via electronic coin toss (lights flash back & forth a little), 1:00 additional time is fenced, fencer with priority wins if there are no single touches).
Just yesterday I adapted this to just control the touch/ground/offtarget lights for a smaller box that will be used when there is no referee. Put it all together and it worked the first time! I had prototyped the arduino & hardware on a breadboard and got the code working, but was still surprised that in moving the design to a small wirewrap card and then assembling it all there wasn't a single wirewrap error or wiring error :slight_smile:

Cool Man.. a Masterpiece.. :smiley: hope that my code will work too.. but well i dont think it will as i suck at coding at the moment, but the good thing of the iZZE BoX is.. once the hardware is in.. you never have to open it again :sunglasses:

Hello All.. I need help please !!!

Ok i got another Arduino Mega.. uploaded the Sketch (which didnt work on the old Arduino Mega) it did work on the Arduin 2009..
The Problem still is: The Arduino Mega doesnt receive Midi IN Signals.. but the Arduino 2009 does with the same sketch, how is that possible ? I am losing my mind..
Please help me out.. i dont get it..

Well, post your sketch and the schematic, give us something to look at.

Here is the sourcecode: http://narbotic.com/files/MidiVox_Healer_v2-100522a.zip

There is no Shematic.. I just put the shield on the Mega like i did on the Duemillanove. It has to be something Arduino Mega specific why this doesnt work.
Thanks for any help

There have been other posts about shields not working correctly on Mega's also. Something about having to move a couple of pins to connect to a different location on the Mega.
Not sure how you'd search for that, but that's what you need to find.
Which shield are you using?

Ok i got to go to work now.. hope i will find something soon.
I use the MidiVOX shield http://www.narbotic.com/kits/midivox/
Thanks in advance.. Patrick

PS: Think i found something
Shield pin 11 -> Mega pin 51
Shield pin 12 -> Mega pin 50
Shield pin 13 -> Mega pin 52
I hope that works ? Found it on a Forum claiming the Micro SD Shield wont work
But seems because of the DAC Audio Chip and so on that the code has to be rewritten.. omg :frowning: i dont see my project working this year

I looked at the code listing. There are quite a few libraries & other files called out. Do you have all those in the right place?
I suppose you must, or it wouldn't compile.

Yeah everything is fine. It works on the Duemillanove with the same sketch and everything the same.. except the arduino itself

I connected the SPI Pins like in the description.
Still doesnt work. I hate it..
I also tried switching from RX to RX1 (rewriting the code to serial1 aswell)
Also doesnt work :frowning: