Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: ARDUINO MEGA  (Read 494 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I AM VERY NEW TO THIS ARDUINO WORLD.PLS HELP ME OUT GUYS.
CAN WE USE MEGA INPLACE OF UNO FOR ALL PROJECTS.
I HAVE INTENDED TO BUY MEGA BUT ALL THOSE PROJECTS ARE USING UNO.
CAN ALL THOSE USIG UNO CAN BE USED USING MEGA TOO...
PLS HELP ME OUT FAST

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Yes you can use Mega in place of Uno.  Not all shields will be compatible, you may need to add a couple jumpers to pick up signals from other pins.

Turn  off your CAPS lock next time you post please - that's considered shouting on the internet. Also hard to read.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Yes you can use Mega in place of Uno.  Not all shields will be compatible, you may need to add a couple jumpers to pick up signals from other pins.

Some won't work at all; for example, the NooTropic Design VE shield won't work on the (standard?) Mega, because one of the pins that is needed (which is on the ATMega2560) isn't brought out to the jumper block!

This is discussed on the NooTropic site:

https://nootropicdesign.com/ve/whynotmega.html

The "workaround" would either be to "hack" the official board (soldering a jumper to the uC - probably not very easy given the pin spacing) - or (as noted in the above link) purchasing a Seeeduino Mega and adding some wire jumpers between the shield and the jumper blocks on the Seeeduino Mega.

So - ultimately, you have to be very diligent with your selections, and read over the description of the shield/board to make sure it can be used "as-is" (or if there is a workaround). I would say boards that flat-out won't work because of "missing pins" (maybe "unallocated pins" would be a better description?) might be in the minority, though.

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: