Define these words please

Are you asking us to help you cheat on a test?

I hadn't thought of that ... so I will wait for the OP's reply.

I think I might fail ...

...R

coding badly no this is just a small assignement

Are you asking us to help you cheat on a test school assignment?

Maybe we ought to have a new forum section "Please help me with my school work".

-VDC FD (in context to an LED light, VDC possibly means voltage direct current) :
voltage direct current federal dignity
-sync error:
what happens if to much dirt goes into the sink
-Benign:
wrong written begin
-Configuration:
A figure that goes to a conference
-Initially:
a ni italian
-/.../:
a regular expression to identify comments
-void setup() {}
unnecessary setup that will probably be inlined by the gcc compiler.
-void loop() {}
unnecessary loop that will probably be inlined by the gcc compiler.

so i don't see what is wrong i am trying to know the program vocabulary.

-Benign:
-Configuration:
-Initially:

AFAIK these three either mean nothing or need more context, either way there's no way to answer them as is.

If this is an assignment it's pretty dubious, I've been working in IT/embedded systems for 30+ years and I've never heard the word "Benign" used in relation to an embedded system, or anywhere else come to think of it short of an oncology ward.

Rob

yowazgoodtho:
so i don't see what is wrong i am trying to know the program vocabulary.

Your teacher wants you to find out the words by studying the arduino, not by just asking some one. If you are told you forget, if you discover for yourself not only do you remember but you understand.

Jantje:
-Benign:
wrongly written begin

Jokes aside, that is most likely correct.

Graynomad:
-Benign:
-Configuration:
-Initially:

AFAIK these three either mean nothing or need more context, either way there's no way to answer them as is.

If this is an assignment it's pretty dubious, I've been working in IT/embedded systems for 30+ years and I've never heard the word "Benign" used in relation to an embedded system, or anywhere else come to think of it short of an oncology ward.

Rob

I had a feeling there was something not quite right about these qquestions.
I wondered if th op had re worded.it .

Its a fiarly well known trick to set a question that has no fixed answer to prevent plagiarism etc.
Its designed to test understanding.

thanks for the effort though. i got most of them down by myself but some of the words did not make sense to me on how they would relate to arduino in the same context. I dont even know what the prompts are either. i am assuming /* is an annotation because in python we use #.

Oh by the way my teacher is allowing us to use online research such as wikipedia to define these words or commands. so i thought the best way is to ask arduino programmers because i haven't found anything online.

/* */
Has nothing to do with Arduino as such, it's the standard C comment block, it means the same on every C compiler in the world including the one used by Arduino.

sync error: I think that's what you get when the upload process (using avrdude) is not happy with the target board.

loop() and setup() you should be able to find on the reference pages (not that I've ever looked for them).

VCD: no idea.

The others either don't make sense or require more information as I said before.

Rob

yowazgoodtho:
*** Note: all of these are in context to arduino***
-VDC FD (in context to an LED light, VDC possibly means voltage direct current) :

Forward voltage drop across the diode? Look it up in Wikipedia.

"Sync error" might be "syntax error". (I get the impression there may be some transcription problems between the teachers original questions and your post, e.g. "begin" became "benign".)

BTW, "begin" is the name of a standard "method" that in general every C++ "class" will have. You should read up on "C++ class" and "C++ method".

Similarly, "Initially" might have been "initialize"

When a program starts, the programmer (you, hopefully) will typically write some code that has the purpose of setting all the program variables (and hardware state settings, if required) to their required initial values. (For example, if you are writing a program that involves keeping track of some sum of values, you may have a variable called "sum" which normally would be initialized to 0 for the program work properly.)

void loop() and void setup() are standard names for the Arduino "sketch" (a non-standard version of C++) functions. The setup() function is specifically used for initialization as described above. Look up "Arduino sketch" and you should get a better explanation.

Configuration is a very general term in programming typically used to describe setting variables or parameters of a program or routine to suit the particular purpose. So a "configurable" program will have parameters or settings that can be adjusted as part of it's design, whereas a non-configurable program will have to be modified at the source code level if changes in function are required. It's really just a question of how much flexibility and generality was built into the design.

Anyway, as others have suggested, if you really want it all to make sense, roll up your sleeves, download the Arduino IDE, and play with (i.e. modify) some of the example programs to see how it all works. You are almost guaranteed to find a few of those elusive "syntax errors" on the way. :slight_smile: Good luck, and have fun (because it is fun.)

benign

x = 2 + 7;

You should be on "I am sorry I haven't a clue" :slight_smile:

Ah yes, Uxbridge English.
One of my favourite shows.

thanksss