Go Down

Topic: works: MIDI-IN: code + schematics (Read 49 times) previous topic - next topic

tep

@sciguy: :)

@AndreasViruly: Good, now I guess it'll be very quick, if you only want to light on LED on notes!  ;)

AndreasViruly

Aug 29, 2009, 08:53 pm Last Edit: Aug 29, 2009, 08:53 pm by AndreasViruly Reason: 1
Haha, no that was just the first step. I want to make 36 different LED's corresponding to 3 octaves on the piano. Everytime a note is played on the master keyboard, these LED's have to light up, and go out the moment the key is released. I already saw my keyboard works with the "note on" with 0 velocity, when switching off a note..
I only have 13 pins on my Arduino so I have to start working with multi/charlieplexing.
Programming is just completely new for me so it'll take quite a while I think ;)
But thanks anyhow!  
Andreas

tep

(pins 2-13 = 12 pins + analog pins = 6 pins. Total 18 pins ! ;))
Ok, those methods are good, but not very adapted if you plan to do other time-consuming things. I can recommend you shift registers. I got mine 5 for 1 us$ from Thailand on eBay. It's of course more assembly, but if you go this way I can give you a function to light LEDs a simple way.
Anoter thing : have a look at registers that handle PWM, you could handle the velocity!

tep

Aug 30, 2009, 05:14 pm Last Edit: Aug 30, 2009, 05:49 pm by tep Reason: 1
On my MIDI controller with the MIDI IN issue I consolidated some solder and now found out that if I connect the RX pin to the RX pin of an empty Arduino Diecimila my onboard standalone Arduino receives the signal.

Do you have an idea of how to solve this?
[edit]Hm no, doesn't work anymore this way.[/edit]

tep

Aug 30, 2009, 09:11 pm Last Edit: Aug 30, 2009, 09:15 pm by tep Reason: 1
Something strange: My MIDI IN circuit always work when I connect it to an Arduino. When it is a standalone Atmega, it doesn't work anymore.  :(

Look at this schematic :

He is using a 8-pin optocoupler, but he adds a 1.8k resistor to ground. What you think about it?
(My electronic knownledge is very small...)

Go Up