{
  int hperiod;

hperiod = (500000 / (freq*2));
  analogWrite(12, 255);
  delayMicroseconds(hperiod);
  digitalWrite(12, LOW);
  delayMicroseconds(hperiod-1);
}

But it only works if I send midi from live on my computer. If i try to use my keyboard controller it will triger a note and the just hold it on forever shrug

Also I had to use the micro second delays to read the serial info, but now if I have 2 note trigger right next to the other it will miss the second one, I assume due to the delay.

If you have and LCD, this could be a way to know what's exactly happening. Some keyboard are strange sometimes.
But note that often keyboards send a note on with velocity instead on note off.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking is going on. I wish I could get rid of those delays but when I do it quits working.

Yes, it should be possible, I didn't use some in my controller.

I just can't get it to work without the delays, is it just blowing by the data in the serial stream with no delays?

I rigged up a LCD and when there is no delays both the note and velocity are read as 255 all the time, no idea!

You perhaps modified it now, but that is a bit strange...

while (check!= 128 )
      {
        check = Serial.read();
        freqout(note);
      }
    }

Hey guys,

I've managed to get a small instrument working using this code, but I've also encountered the same problem as Captain Credible (reply #41 on page 3), in that through some MIDI interfaces I can't play more than one note.

If I connect the instrument directly to my MIDI keyboard, I can play polyphonically, but if I play through my keyboard into MIDI-OX and out through a separate MIDI interface (a MOTU MIDI Express XT) I can only play monophonically.

Does anyone have an idea as to why this might be happening?

At first I thought it was because of the note-off differences, between actually specifying a note-off message (128) and a note-on with velocity = 0, but as far as I can tell they both do the note-on, vel=0 thing.

I've been racking my brain all day over this, but I'm truly stumped. Any help would be very gratefully received.

MIDI portion of code below:

if (Serial.available() > 0) {
    blink();
    incomingByte = Serial.read();
    if (incomingByte == 144) {
      action = 1;
    }else if (incomingByte == 128) {
      action = 0;
    }else if ((action == 0) && (note == 0)) {
      note = incomingByte;
      playNote(note, 0);
      note = 0;
      velocity = 0;
      action = 2;
    }else if ((action == 1) && (note == 0)) {
      note = incomingByte;
    }else if ((action == 1) && (note != 0)) {
      velocity = incomingByte;
      playNote(note, velocity);
      note = 0;
      velocity = 0;
      action = 0;
    }else{
    }
  }

Hi All.
I am new to the arduino, but i am fairly handy with electronics. i built my setup according to the schematic, except with a 4 channel opto from sparkfun which i had lying around. I connected everything to the correct corresponding pins, and now all that happens when everything is connected is a stream of serial gibberish that doesnt change when i do something on the piano. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Hi everyone,
Ive been trying to get this to work for a while,but no luck. It seems that the arduino is not recieving any data through RX. Like others, many posts back, I get a LED to flicker when connected to +5v and pin 5 of the optoisolator( when the RX is not connected). I measure about 5.2 v on the pin and a 10th of a volt difference corresponding to keystrokes.
I get nothing coming in on the serial monitor and even the simplest, one led sketches dont work. I am using a microkorg but have also tried a sci prohet 600. I tried changing the baud. I checked for loose connections, cold soldered joint, and my diecimila is fine other wise.
Any suggestions? It seems a few others had this problem but there were no real solutions posted. Id really appreciate any help. Thanks

ok, I got it to work briefly but then I unhooked the RX input and when i put it back it no longer works. I used this:

//variables setup
byte incomingByte;

int statusLed = 13;   // select the pin for the LED

//setup: declaring iputs and outputs and begin serial
void setup() {
  pinMode(statusLed,OUTPUT);   // declare the LED's pin as output
  Serial.begin(31250);        //start serial with midi baudrate 31250 or 38400 for debugging
  digitalWrite(statusLed,LOW);
}

void loop () {
 if (Serial.available() > 0) {

incomingByte = Serial.read();
    // wait for as status-byte, channel 1, note on or off
    if (incomingByte==144){ // 144 is note on ch1
      digitalWrite(statusLed, HIGH);
      delay(20);
      digitalWrite(statusLed, LOW);
      delay(1);
    }

}
}

This is how I got it to work ... uploaded this sketch (for like the 20th time) and it didnt work...no surprise.
then I took the lead from pin 5 of the opto and directly touch pin 2 on the atmega( the rx pin) then I stuck a 1k resistor between therx and tx sockets, removed it and then put the lead from pin 5 of the opto back into the rx socket. Ta-DA that did it ...worked fine! However... After I removed the input lead and put it back it stoped working and now nothing. I checked continuity.... I think everything is good. I get a strong beep when the probes are directly on the opto's output and the atmega RX pin 2. I am pretty sure the hardware is ok. I think somehow my arduino doesnt want to read incoming data, though it loads sketches fine.

Ok, I got it to work, but not with a 4n28. I tried 10 of them, with every resistor combo imaginable. I could get a led flicker (between +5v and pin 5,with the rx disconnected ), but it did nothing for the arduino. Nothing was being read. Finally i tried another opto, a cny 17-4. It has a similar pinout as the 4n28 and I substituted the 100k for a 220k and the 3.3k for 2.2k. works perfectly(for me).

It seems that there were/are a few others who had trouble with this circuit and the arduino seemingly not being able to read any data.
Perhaps for some, there is a problem with using the 4n28. i dont know what, though. It makes no sense to me. A circuit this simple and that has been repeatedly verified by so many, shouldnt be this contrary.

Anyone have any ideas?

As I said a few pages before, for me the solution was not to connect the OptoPin6-100k-GND part, all the rest of the circuit like described on the first post. I built this circuit a few times.
In case of a standalone setup without FTDI the 3,3k resistor has to be 1k.

All of the 4n28s that I tried, wouldnt even make a LED flicker with ANY resistor value between ground and pin 5.

A resistor between Ground and Pin 5 ? You mean 6 or +5V I think.
Anyway I didn't test the flicker think on my side but it worked...
If you have time, rebuild it with my schema ?

You're using MIDI on the same serial as a FTDI right ? If it is a Mega I guess it is 1k instead of 3,3k but all the rest the same.

Oops, I meant...a resistor between pin 6 and ground. Also my arduino doesnt read midi data when the jack is connected to the arduino. (midi 4>rx, midi 5> ground) I thought that using the optoisolator was just a precaution.??

From what I understood it is a different voltage level, so that's a bit more than precaution.
(BTW that's why the 3.3k resistor is 1k if a FTDI is connected.)

Hey Tep,
just tried your circuit (again). Like before, the opto seems to function(via LED) but my arduino read nothing. I have already tried different resistor combos with the (working)cny17-4. As far as I can tell, it seems pretty forgiving, midi data gets through every time.
There has to be some hardware problem going on here. It doesnt read midi even when the opto is bypassed and the midi connected directly to the arduino. THis should work. There is no need for any kind of filter or anything, is there?

Oh, another thing....
I may have already mentioned this , but I did get a 4n28 to work,once.
I dont know what I did, but after like, the umpteenth build it just worked, briefly...until I disconnected the rx lead. When I put it back in place it would no longer communicate. At first I though that it was definately a continuity issue but everything checked out, and since it works fine now with a cny17-4, i know it cant be bad or loose connection.

The resistance is RBE and is mentioned in the datasheet. It's measured in kohms from 10k to 1meg. And it does cut down noise. It also has an affect on Ton.

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/4N/4N28-M.pdf

hi

i am looking for a solution to extract a beat out of Midi Time Code. I want to cycle four relays in the tempo of whatever is running. 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4 etc

With this schematic and an arduino, is it all possible? Is there a "click" in the MTC or somewhere else in MIDI that I will be able to read with the arduino?

I will not be able to loop a note. I have to get it out of some kind of general system message stream or time code.

thanks

fubbi