Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Interfacing a pocket agenda keyboard  (Read 4573 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi:

Just wondering if it could be possible to interface a pocket agenda keybord (mainly cause of it size) like this to arduino?

I admit I dont know how does the keyboard works, in order to do a reverse engeniering.

Any start points that I can look into?

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Do you want it to function after you have hacked it?
If so the answer is almost certainly no, you can not.

ਪੰਜਾਬ
Edison Member
Another year! Alone! :(
View Profile

Back in those kids when my family wasnt able to sfford a computer ,especially a laptop I used to like these tiny with screen laptop look alike things, really great.

perhaps you should keep it to show your kids about computer development pace! as Grumpy OLD mike said its not going to work anyways.

"Real Men can Accomplish  Anything"
-  Website  

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੂਂ !

Lake Tyers Beach
View Profile

If you very gently, and reversibly, get it open and can check the internal layout you may get an idea of the scope of the problem and the chances of reusable hardware.  If it is a single board then I would definitely agree with Mike.  If it has flat plastic cables connecting the keyboard to the main board you could stand a chance, but realistically your soldering hacking skills would need to be pretty high (ie making connections and then writing your keyboard scanning routines), and even then you are stuck with the layout in that particular case, not much room to move there with Arduino style boards.

I used one of these in nineties and loved it.  Made an IR interface in a cradle and wrote a download and upload program on my ARM Archimedes(and later RISCOS) computer.  Slim, lightweight and very good at what is was designed to do.  I stopped using it when I got my early mobile phones, but really only replaced it properly when I got my first Android Galaxy S in 2010.

Cheers, Rob

Learning Flute and C++, heading for a meltdown.

Denmark
God Member
Please don't send questions as PM!
View Profile

Opening the device would give you something like this:

To re-use the keyboard, you would have to grind off the black blob of epoxy, to remove the chip (old procesor) underneath. When you have done this, the old processor won't interfere with the buttons. Now you can start tracing the connections to the buttons. Good luck  smiley-eek

I have done something similar ages ago - i converted a Ericsson SMS-keyboard (the one you plug into the bottom of an old cellphone to an infrared remote. it took many hours, and wasn't really worth the effort smiley-grin

I would say it's a good exercise, if you can't afford a "real" keyboard for a few $'s.

// Per.

ਪੰਜਾਬ
Edison Member
Another year! Alone! :(
View Profile

it took many hours, and wasn't really worth the effort smiley-grin

I back this point.

Generally I think you will learn a lot-lot more if you try to make a keyboard of your own with you own PCB and tactile or whatever buttons you like rather than trying to hack such whacko.

"Real Men can Accomplish  Anything"
-  Website  

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੂਂ !

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: