Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Photocell & Relay  (Read 2345 times)
Atlanta
Arduino still rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

There is no load switch.  
thats your problem.  
Just use http://www.discovercircuits.com/DJ-Circuits/12vdnswitch.htm for the LEDs and leave the charger alone.
"What we've got here is...failure to communicate."

Arduino rocks
View Profile

So you want me to install a switch so I turn it on/off twice a day?  You'll have to explain.  

By the way, they are sending me a new controller.  This one is pooched.  

Atlanta
Arduino still rocks
View Profile

BeerRich said:
The photocell I want to act as that switch.  Not really sure how to do it.  
AltairLabs said:
Just use http://www.discovercircuits.com/DJ-Circuits/12vdnswitch.htm for the LEDs and leave the charger alone.
AltairLabs gives up:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8342445135331678445#

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Do you speak English?  Then read the thread.  Yes, go to the very beginning.  And if you have nothing useful to add, then stop being such a prick.  

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

+ and - for load (light)
Either hook your on/off circuit to these or directly to the battery, it makes no difference except using the regulator load OP will protect the battery should it ever get too low.

For the cost of an ATtiny85 I'd bung one in and use it to control the LEDs OR even simpler use a comparator that can connect directly to the battery.

This is a simple application, the thread length is getting out of proportion  smiley

_____
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I have a relay being sent to me, which I was hoping could be on the switching side, as I don't think the photocell could handle the amperage of what the battery might put out.  Like I said, I'm a bit confused with all this so I'll have to see how things work and how they are all rated, then go from there when it arrives.  As it stands, the charge controller isn't working and they're sending me a new one.  It was showing load when there was obviously no load on the battery.  

I am not familiar with the ATtiny85.  Will have a look.  Most of this is new to me.  

Cheers

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

The ATtiny85 is my weapon of choice for simple circuits, technically it's an overkill but at $3 and a bit of programming why not?

The only catch here is that it will need a regulator as well, so the circuit gets a little more busy. On the other hand because it's a processor you can add features later when you think of them.

Another advantage to using a processor is that you can easily control a latching relay, this means that almost NO current is being drawn for 23hrs 59min 59.8secs of the day. You just need an ON and an OFF pulse each day. As opposed to a normal relay that will consume power all night (or day depending on how you wire it up).

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Arduino rocks
View Profile

You're right on two parts.  I don't mind the $3.  I actually like the programming...if I can get around this.  As much as I like this new little hobby, I don't want to spend a lot of time in it. I have enough to do already.

Second, I have a battery that can handle the whole system, as well as a solar panel.  The lights will only be of use early evening.  If they last all night, so be it.  If they die out, so be it.  A 4 am death isn't really a wrong thing.  

In any case I'll be happy if I can just build something.  I will be back, I'm sure.  

Cheers

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: