Go Down

Topic: connecting 100 RGB Led´s (Read 7812 times) previous topic - next topic

peter-844

Hi forum
I'm a retard when it comes to interfacing. I'm pretty much on top of things when it comes to coding.
I need to connect 100 RGB LED´s to my arduino.
The good thing is that they shall show same color. What will I need in order to do this? Some power transistor I guess.

I have not ordered the LED´s yet. So common anode/Cathode is not an issue yet.
I'm thinking of powering the whole thing from a 12V switch mode power supply since that is what I already have.

Any recommendations?

CrossRoads

Jan 24, 2011, 08:19 am Last Edit: Jan 24, 2011, 08:21 am by CrossRoads Reason: 1
You just want all 100 to turn on/off together?
Wire them up in series in strings of 5 with a current limit resistor (~150 ohm), from +12 V to the drain of an N-channel mosfet . You maybe be able to get away with 6 in series, depends on the forward voltage drop of the LED. Adjust the current limit R accordingly.
The gate will be connected to an arduino output pin thru a 100 ohm resister, and a 1K resistor to ground if you find it is not turning off satisfactorily.
The source will be connected to ground.
You will have 20 strings of 5+resister wired in parallel.
Choose a logic level MOSFET with low Rds. It will have about 400ma going thru it.
Here is an example but with a 20V source
You could also use a part like ULN2803 if you are not comfortable with discrete transistors.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy