Go Down

Topic: GPS-LCD Speedometer (Read 4301 times) previous topic - next topic

inval1d

Mar 20, 2014, 12:23 am Last Edit: Mar 20, 2014, 02:12 am by inval1d Reason: 1
Hello, I own an Arduino Uno Rev3, a SainSmart 4884 Graphics Display module, and an Adafruit Ultimate GPS Logger Shield. I already know that I can stack them with Adafruit's stackable headers. Anyway, I need help programming something that gets my Longitude, Latitude, and speed from the GPS and displays it on the LCD. I have no idea where to start, but I do have the libraries. Here is what I have so far:

#include <DFrobot_bmp.h>
#include <DFrobot_chinese.h>
#include <font_6x8.h>
#include <font_big.h>  //< Above are all font libraries and stuff
#include <LCD4884.h> // < This is the LCD4884 Graphics Module Library
#include <Adafruit_GPS.h> // < This is Adafruit's Ultimate GPS Module

I really need help, as I am a newbie to this program. I would gladly appreciate it. I have little knowledge on Arduino program, I only know BASIC. Please help me finish my code. I am doing this project as a speedometer for my RC car (as the GPS logs to a microSD, I can get the top speed) and for geocaching without directions, (JUST LAT, LONG)

Runaway Pancake

I am doing this project as a speedometer for my RC car (as the GPS logs to a microSD, I can get the top speed) ...

The RC car (or An RC car) isn't going to go far enough for that to figure. 
The difference in coordinates won't be far enough apart to make such a determination.
It's not that fine.
"Hello, I must be going..."
"You gotta fight -- for your right -- to party!"
Don't react - Read.
"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"

NI$HANT

I have made lcd speedos that are graphic for choppers.

The GPS one of the very best available out their leaving the RTK ones which are like $999(leving these out of context) these gps modules are correct to the minium 1meter accuracy so even if the GPS modules is damn correct and right on the meter accuracy you wont be able to calculate any speed or get any coordinates for the distance you ran for that is under 1meter.

EDIT:

So I would suggest taking the rotation counting using a magnet and a hall sensor or using the optical rotary encoders.
"Real Men can Accomplish  Anything"

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੁਂ!

inval1d

Video I found: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sdApD66HGSI

Runaway Pancake

Video I found

So, what's your point?
Does that "video" support my contention or your desire?
Don't react - Read.

NI$HANT

Please read and understand the posts advice that will help you or else ask straighaway what you exatly desire posting the video there didn't specify straightaway that what you seek?

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੁਂ!

inval1d

The video was posted because it proved that the GPS is accurate enough to get a speed.

NI$HANT

The video was posted because it proved that the GPS is accurate enough to get a speed.

The GPS offcourse is accurate but I told you in my above post that its accurate to the extent of 1meter that is also not concretely defined and there maybe a bit of diversion in accuracy from vendor to vendor, I think the video you posted shows GPS and oled display etc mounted in a car. but you want it to do for your RC car and an RC car covers less distance.

Just use a optical rotary encoder to read the pulses per rotation and calculate the speed, goto polulu's website.

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੁਂ!

inval1d

I don't have the money for an optical encoder. I am too young for a job and just spent my last 50$ on the GPS Module/Shield. And: my point is, my RC car can go faster than the car was going at that time (RC car's top speed is about 35mph). So, I just need help making a code that calculates speed and displays it to an LCD screen. Thanks for your suggestions

NI$HANT

ok try it ,here's a link to get started >> www.instructables.com/id/Compact-Arduino-GPS-Speedo-and-more/

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੁਂ!

inval1d

Thanks, I'm looking into it now. Can I add you on skype?

NI$HANT

Can I add you on skype?

on the forum will help everyone.

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੁਂ!

inval1d

Mar 20, 2014, 08:21 pm Last Edit: Mar 21, 2014, 12:02 am by inval1d Reason: 1
Oh, I see. Also: Do I need to add the library for the LCD4884 or do I just change the pins to my LCD? Also my LCD has a built in button, do I just use that pin? I have no idea how to modify the program. Thanks for your help so far. Can you or someone else help me modify the code to my particular hardware? Thanks

Runaway Pancake

my point is, my RC car can go faster than the car was going at that time (RC car's top speed is about 35mph).

But your RC car can't go far enough to result in fixes enough for a speed reading that means anything, as I stated in Reply#1 and NI$HANT has tried to help you to understand.

I am too young for a job and just spent my last 50$ on the GPS Module/Shield...

Research first, Spend later.
Don't react - Read.

NI$HANT

Do I need to add the library for the LCD4884 or do I just change the pins to my LCD?

Both The connections have to be to the correct pins and the library be used, just by correct connections seldom you wont get it working it needs a software library to be worked at!

Also my LCD has a built in button, do I just use that pin?

Yes you may use it although I dont know what it does so I cant really help you out to know whether its to be connected as you visualise ,just check the lcds datasheet.

I have no idea how to modify the program. Thanks for your help so far. Can you or someone else help me modify the code to my particular hardware?

Research first, Spend later.

I think here is the learning oppurtunity, you have a lot of things here to learn from  first researching before buying to learning a lot about how code in Arduino is done etc

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੁਂ!

Go Up