Go Down

Topic: Problem with Freeduino Serial v2.0 board (Read 4995 times) previous topic - next topic

Adilson Akashi

I understand and agree about the possibility of not beeing a hardware problem. I just thought hardware was a possibility...

And reading your last message, I think you must try to bootload with board type "NG or older with Atmega168" instead of "Diecimila". I think there are differences on how they handle TX and RX Atmega pins (I think Diecimila bootloader turns on pull up resistors), and other differences too. Can you try to bootload it with "NG or older w/Atmega168" and test it again?
PCB Designer

mem

I also thought this is a hardware problem because all the sketches that fail on the serial board consistently upload on the USB board!

The supplier, nkcelectronics  is aware of my problem and has not mentioned trying an older bootloader with the serial board. But I will ask them see what they say.

Thanks for the suggestion, I hope that's all that is needed to get the serial boards to work.

mem

Update:  I discovered that I can upload even the problem sketches if I do a manual reset. Most sketches will upload without the reset but the ones that were having errors seem to upload ok if I reset a few seconds after starting the upload.

The board does have the 0.1uf capacitor connecting the DTR (RS232 pin 4) to ICSP reset (pin 5) and seems to work intermittently when relying on the auto reset.

I am still looking at why the auto-reset is intermittent and why one of my boards seems much more reliable than the other

Adilson Akashi

I told you...

try pressing the reset button. Probably the upload will work. It seems your auto reset is not working well.

Open windows;
change COM port speed to 19200;
Run only IDE (close all non used programs);
Bootload using NG or older/168 configuration;
Try to upload sketch.

PCB Designer

mem

Adilson, I have been testing with the com port set to 19200 for a few days now. It did not seem to make any difference.

The background CPU activity of the tasks open when I am testing is around 3%.  I would be surprised if shutting everying down made a difference but I will try anyway.

I am  still waiting to hear from NKCelectronics about the correct bootloader for my board.

Again, many thanks for taking the time post the suggestions.

dkimcg

I've been having problems with a serial kit I bought from the same place as you.  It starts up fine, blinks fine. but I get errors when trying to upload a program.  Same computer runs a real Arduino USB board perfectly.  I'll try some tests on OSX, which is what I mainly use.  My macbook works perfectly with the usb version, but I'll report back after some tests on that machine.  I'm starting to think the extra 16 bucks is worth no struggles + USB.

dkimcg

No luck in OSX either.

I'm using a Keyspan USB to serial converter.

I think I'll just use the USB one that works and not buy any of these kits anymore.  I wish I could make them myself, but it's not worth the trouble right now.  I built a paia synth and it all works, so I think i should be able to do this right.  Too bad.  :(

spiffed

It seems issues with the serial version are common. We're discussing a max232 based serial version in another thread.
iDuino - MaxSerial - [url=http://spi

trickpony

I am seeing this same problem with my RBBB freeduino connected with a usb to ttl ftdi cord.
I can repro the problem consistently and if I unplug the cable from the computer then plug it back in
I will be able to load the next time, but not again until I unplug/plug.

hmmmmm. Anyone else seeing this?

nkcelectronics

May 19, 2008, 05:35 am Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 05:37 am by nkcelectronics Reason: 1
I would like to clarify that the subject of this thread should be "Problem with Freeduino Serial v1.0 board".  Freeduino Serial v2.0 board is MAX232 (or compatible chip) based and eliminates the problems reported on this thread.  The confusion comes from the fact that Freeduino Serial v1.0 board was based on the "Arduino serial v2.0" board, with the "autoreset" hack.

Thanks.

nkcelectronics

May 19, 2008, 05:40 am Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 05:40 am by nkcelectronics Reason: 1
I am seeing this same problem with my RBBB freeduino connected with a usb to ttl ftdi cord.
I can repro the problem consistently and if I unplug the cable from the computer then plug it back in
I will be able to load the next time, but not again until I unplug/plug.

hmmmmm. Anyone else seeing this?

When you unplug/plug the USB cable, are you resetting the RBBB freeduino or it is powered externally?

mem

May 19, 2008, 09:14 am Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 10:36 am by mem Reason: 1
I would like to clarify that the subject of this thread should be "Problem with Freeduino Serial v1.0 board".  Freeduino Serial v2.0 board is MAX232 (or compatible chip) based and eliminates the problems reported on this thread.  The confusion comes from the fact that Freeduino Serial v1.0 board was based on the "Arduino serial v2.0" board, with the "autoreset" hack.

Your website describes the old board discussed in this thread as:
Freeduino Arduino-compatible board RS232 serial version 2.0

Perhaps it would be less confusing if the max232 version  was named something other than
Freeduino Serial v2.0 board

BTW, I have been using your new board for a while now and it works great!

edit: I will be happy to change the title, please suggest what you think is less confusing and point me to the instructions on how to change an existing threads title.

nkcelectronics

I have no idea on how to change the title of a thread, but I think a couple of posts, like the last ones, trying to clarify the more than confusing naming of Arduino variants is fine.

Product naming is confusing... I started the serial kit as a modified Arduino v2.0 board, with diecimila compatible autoreset, then the Freeduino name started to be known in the community, so I renamed the same product as Freeduino serial v1.0... then I switched to the MAX232 and named the new kit Freeduino serial v2.0

In conclusion:

Arduino serial v2.0 = original Arduino team PCB design.  Some PCBs are still sold, but no kits or assembled boards exist

Freeduino serial v1.0 = Arduino serial v2.0 based board, with diecimila compatible autoreset.  Still uses transistors to RS232 signal leveling

Freeduino serial v2.0 = New serial board design.  Introduced MAX232 compatible chips as RS232 driver and removed transistors.  Still has autoreset feature, so it is diecimila compatible.  If you have a PC or laptop with RS232, it is a cheaper alternative to the more expensive USB boards... and it works just great!

Go Up