Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: New and Looking for Advice  (Read 280 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello,

So I'm new to the scene. Thinking of the many things I could eventually do once I get all learned. smiley.
One thing I was hoping do, I'm not sure on how difficult or what exactly I would need to buy. I'm not sure if The Nano would able to do it or if I would have to use the UNO, either one is fine, I want both eventually, but If the nano can do it it would be better because it's smaller. I also don't know if what I want to do is too much for a beginner.
In my head it sounds like the idea is pretty basic, but I don't know enough to know if the execution is or not.

Now to explain what I want to do. I'm looking to make a mask/helmet/something ( that part is not really important I don't think, as its just what it would mounted on) and use an array of small LEDs, (smaller than This) so that I can get a better resolution I guess. At first it would just be used to display simple things  like maybe a smiley face but I figure what it displays is more a programming thing, That I think I should be able to figure out as I have few years of professional programming experience.  And if I can get something like this working well enough I'd eventually like to add a speaker to play little clips or something, but that would just be a "maybe after its done" kind of thing. I would probably also start with a smaller scale of what I want and then as i understand it more add to it.

I'm not sure what kind of materials I would need. some are obvious, wires, led, arduino.
So I guess the help/guidance I'm looking for would be some suggestions on materials, what board would be best, best way to power it,  Is this idea feasible as beginners project, any tutorials that would get me in the right direction, and any thing else you think would be helpful  

I'm pretty excited about getting into this. some of the things I've seen people create are really neat.

thanks
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:42:36 am by Iruga » Logged

Boston
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Welcome,
The LED you link to is a RGB LED.
If you are just starting I would use a regular 5mm LED like this
http://www.adafruit.com/products/298 for experimenting.
Here is a basic tutorial on how to use a button.
http://arduino.cc/en/tutorial/button#.Uyxgpe29LCQ
Also try out the sketch examples that come with the Arduino IDE (software).
Good luck

View Profile

Welcome,
The LED you link to is a RGB LED.
If you are just starting I would use a regular 5mm LED like this
http://www.adafruit.com/products/298 for experimenting.
Here is a basic tutorial on how to use a button.
http://arduino.cc/en/tutorial/button#.Uyxgpe29LCQ
Also try out the sketch examples that come with the Arduino IDE (software).
Good luck

Hello,

Thanks for the reply,  The ones I linked was just one of the first link I ran into. The LEDs I'd want can be pretty much any colour, I'll probably end up with red

I did find these Tiny LEDs  but those way smaller than I would need haha I'll check out the ones you linked.
Also thanks for the tutorial link

UK
Tesla Member
View Profile

Are you thinking of having enough LEDs to display an image?

How many LEDs are you thinking of? Where will the image data come from?

How frequently will the image need to change?

...R

View Profile

Are you thinking of having enough LEDs to display an image?
probably not enough for anything really complex, If I was going to go with that much detail I think an actual screen would probably be a smarter path.
I'm not quite sure how many but i wouldn't want it too small or have the LEDs to spaced out, I'm sure of the size I'll be filling yet maybe 6inch by 6inch.
I figured the data for the image would be controlled by the code because the things I would want to display would be nothing more than ascii characters  basically emoticons like : ), <(o.o<), and other things like that
How frequently will the image need to change?
I don't think it would have to be that frequent, But i was thinking  2 buttons ( for back and forward cycling) or a few buttons with each button assigned a specific display.

...R

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

There are many LED color or single color matrices you can buy. I think you just want to display patterns, not pictures, are you?

The following display should do pretty well with simple patterns:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1623

You can use an arduino nano and a 9V battery to operate it for a few hours, I guess.

View Profile

There are many LED color or single color matrices you can buy. I think you just want to display patterns, not pictures, are you?

The following display should do pretty well with simple patterns:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1623

You can use an arduino nano and a 9V battery to operate it for a few hours, I guess.

would it be more difficult to drive multiple of these than it would to create my own. 

Thanks. If that is a more feasible Idea I May just do that.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Buy a few, try their sample code and tutorial. That is easier than making your own matrix.

View Profile

Buy a few, try their sample code and tutorial. That is easier than making your own matrix.

Thanks, I didn't think to check for something like this.
hopefully I can use something like this. 

though I just thought of something, depending on how/where I mount it I may still end up having to make my own matrix so that I can space them enough to be able to see between them. I didn't really think about that until just now. but i can think of a few other things I'd want to do that these would be much better than making it myself.
Exciting : D

UK
Tesla Member
View Profile

I'm not quite sure how many but i wouldn't want it too small or have the LEDs to spaced out, I'm sure of the size I'll be filling yet maybe 6inch by 6inch.

I think you need to define this more carefully at the outset - at least to think of an acceptable lower limit.

I can't imagine a 6in x 6in space having fewer than 10 leds in each direction - that would amount to 100. That would take a lot of wiring, a lot of external logic to make it work, and a considerable amount of power.

Planning for this can't be an after-thought. A basic Arduino Uno can directly control 15 or so LEDs. A Mega can probably do twice that many. These numbers are far far below 100.

...R

View Profile

I think you need to define this more carefully at the outset - at least to think of an acceptable lower limit.

I can't imagine a 6in x 6in space having fewer than 10 leds in each direction - that would amount to 100. That would take a lot of wiring, a lot of external logic to make it work, and a considerable amount of power.

Planning for this can't be an after-thought. A basic Arduino Uno can directly control 15 or so LEDs. A Mega can probably do twice that many. These numbers are far far below 100.

...R

Ok so to make it feasible I'd have to go with a much lower number.  
It doesn't have to a full grid. I could just have a few LEDs in the places they would be needed for the images  that would probably drop the number significantly.

Hmm thanks. I'll have to think about how I want to display and how many LEDs I'll need.

I also just thought, I could put some kind of diffuser over top to help eliminate the look of seeing just a few leds individually as opposed to image they make and use fewer maybe larger LEDs
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 03:47:39 pm by Iruga » Logged

UK
Tesla Member
View Profile

It is possible to control large numbers of LEDs. Its just not simple.

...R

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: