Go Down

Topic: Print commands are not consistent (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

mem

Jul 22, 2009, 08:14 pm Last Edit: Jul 22, 2009, 08:15 pm by mem Reason: 1
I think the OP is confused as to the difference between "print"ing an int versus a uint8_t.

I don't think the OP was confused about the difference, he wanted a different behaviour - for similar reasons to the one you posted.

I would think that the current Arduino behaviour was borrowed from Processing. Those familiar with Java will be comfortable with the way it works now. There are a few things that Arduino borrowed from Processing that seem odd to C/C++ programmers but the underlying principle has been do make Arduino intuitive to non-technical people and I think the way print works now does that better then the more rigorous behaviour being proposed in this thread.

Anyway, changing the behaviour would break existing code so I think we need to get used to it.

FWIW, I don't think anything rigorous was proposed.  It's purely semantical.  It's about interface consistency - which is HIGHLY desirable for newcomers.

Try telling someone new to the Arduino community that this works as expected:

Code: [Select]
int myvar = 32;

Serial.print(myvar);  // prints out "32"

whereas this doesn't:

Code: [Select]
byte myvar = 32;

Serial.print(myvar);  // prints out a space

I don't want to dwell on this, because it would take enormous effort to have the current Print class changed (even though it's a tiny change).  We have to live with the quirks in the system.  It wouldn't be life if we didn't!

b

mem

It's purely semantical.  It's about interface consistency - which is HIGHLY desirable for newcomers.

Try telling someone new to the Arduino community that this works as expected:
[font=Courier New]  int myvar = 32;
 Serial.print(myvar);  // prints out "32" [/font]
whereas this doesn't:
[font=Courier New]  byte myvar = 32;
 Serial.print(myvar);  // prints out a space [/font]

I am happier telling someone new to programming that
 Serial.print(' ');
Prints a space (not the number 32)

Granted.  PROVIDED they wanted to print a space.

b

mem

In my experience people new to programming expect Serial.print('A'); to print the character A

mellis

Except that 'A' is a signed char and byte is an unsigned char, so that they can behave differently.  I actually think that now that we've added Serial.write(), we should change the behavior of print(byte), but we would need to figure out how to communicate the change.

retrolefty

Jul 24, 2009, 01:03 am Last Edit: Jul 24, 2009, 01:04 am by retrolefty Reason: 1
Oh, does that mean unicode support is also on the agenda? Just kidding  ;D

Lefty

Go Up