Go Down

Topic: diecimila headers are not on 2.54mm grid (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

Corax

Mar 15, 2009, 07:42 pm Last Edit: Mar 15, 2009, 07:46 pm by Corax Reason: 1
My solution to this misery has been to glue another row of pin headers directly outside the mis-spaced ones, leaving one pin blank and connecting the offset pins "diagonally", somewhat like this:
oooooooo*oooooooo
\\\\\\\\ ||||||||
oooooooo.oooooooo

That way I can continue using "standards compliant" shields, or simply make my own perfboard shields (which will be 2.54mm or one pin row wider than standard shields, but have an even spacing).

retrolefty

Corax;

Nice job. That looks like a nice, simple and quickist way to deal with the 'problem'. Thanks for sharing.

That seems to be kind of the way that one of the Seeduino boards handled it by etching double holes and allowing the user to optionaly populate a second set of female headers at the 'proper' spacing.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/seeeduino-v11-fully-assembled-arduino-compatible-p-114.html?zenid=9f6118c193cee9f8b7337d4df91a2eca

Lefty

nkcelectronics

This is a board I designed back in September 2008, but never made it to the market:

I think the double row socket makes total sense, as well as the i2c sockets... as implemented by Seeeduino.

But for those who already have an Arduino board, I came up with a terminal block shield, that because of a mistake, I sold it as a protoboard shield.  Why protoboard?  Because it converts the odd socket spacing on the Arduino board to a standard 0.1" (2.54mm) spacing for using cheap and simple protoboards.

In my opinion, the odd spacing is here to stay, as a legacy of backward compatibility to older boards.

So, more innovation is needed... keep throwing ideas...

AlphaBeta

Mar 16, 2009, 03:51 am Last Edit: Mar 16, 2009, 03:52 am by AlphaBeta Reason: 1
My solution to this misery has been to glue another row of pin headers directly outside the mis-spaced ones, leaving one pin blank and connecting the offset pins "diagonally", somewhat like this:
oooooooo*oooooooo
\\\\\\\\ ||||||||
oooooooo.oooooooo

What a neat solution! :D

Corax

Thanks all for sharing your ideas and products, too! I wasn't aware of the seeeduino, drawing my inspiration from the Illuminato, and I find it interesting how everyone has put the additional pin headers on the inside, preserving the footprint of the original PCB. I opted for enlarging the footprint instead because this would easily allow to retrofit existing Arduinos...

Go Up