Go Down

Topic: diecimila headers are not on 2.54mm grid (Read 4524 times) previous topic - next topic

br3ttb

I think this is going to do the trick:

I worked up a jig, and I can crank them out pretty quickly:

The first batch went to Adafruit today.  Hopefully having these widely available will result in the upgrade path I talked about above.  Only time will tell I suppose.

Brett

EmilyJane

The approach I am using on a board I'm laying out now is to add one 8-pin header parallel and 0.1 offset from the D8-Vref header but aligned with the grid. The other three headers are okay. There is no need to duplicate them all.

Guci22

Jul 19, 2009, 07:19 pm Last Edit: Jul 19, 2009, 07:20 pm by Guci22 Reason: 1
If you are willing to spend a good 6 dollars you could buy one of these:
http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=187
It is a PCB with the arduino headers and one of them is bent to accommodate the nonstandard pin spacing.
That is most likely where the previous poster's headers went to.

EmilyJane

I'm sad to see the "radio shack" style non-tinned pads. Those are a pain to use after they sit around for a while. I would prefer a proto board with tinned pads.

TBAr

Jul 19, 2009, 08:59 pm Last Edit: Jul 19, 2009, 09:01 pm by TBAr Reason: 1
I wonder why they don't just sell the offset headers by themselves, or as a piece in a bundle like the $2.00 set of their shield stacking headers. Why bundle them with a proto board anyway?

EmilyJane

Not sure about that, but the are really easy to make yourself. Take a couple of scraps of perf board a fraction longer than the header and stack them offset by one hole lengthwise. Then push your wire wrap header through a set of holes, again lengthwise and put them in your vice with the jaws such that when you tighten the jaws, you squeeze the two pieces and they deform the leads. I lightly clamp the two pieces of perf board with spring clamps but you can get another set of hands to help as well. With a little practice you can get the spacing right in one try.

br3ttb

Guci:  you're correct.  my headers went to adafruit.  

TBAr:  no idea why they're sold this way.  we'll see where it goes from here.

Emily Jane:  that's a great technique.  my jig does something similar, only I'm using machined steel.  another method (if you only need one or two) would be to bend the pins with pliers.

Brett

Folderol

My solution to this problem is simply to use standard spacing but longer than normal header strips. I plug these into the arduino first, easing the pins apart between 7 and 8. This puts a slight curve on the plastic that the pins are imbedded in.

On the other side I use the same type header strip and just pull out the 'spare' pin between analog0 and Vin.

I then fit the assembly to standard stripboard, solder all the pins, and push down the distorted plastic so it looks neat.

br3ttb

Quick update on Offset Header availability.  They're now available on their own from sparkfun: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9374

TallerGiant

The latest Duemilanove design has space for a second row of header holes and pads at the correct 2.54mm spacing.

Why has this modification by nkcelectronics not been added into the official Arduino design?

It does not change the size of the board, and it 100% backwards compatible. Even if this second header is left unpopulated by default, it gets rid of the biggest complaint about the Ardunio.

What do the more experienced users think?

TallerGiant

To be more proactive, I updated the latest EAGLE files to prove this change can work.

Download the modified EAGLE files.

Folderol

Looks like an excellent solution to me. Saves all the hacking around.

retrolefty

Aug 26, 2009, 08:01 pm Last Edit: Aug 27, 2009, 01:08 am by retrolefty Reason: 1
I agree, simple and effective solution. To not utilize this layout in future board layouts is simply dumb.

That's how Seeeduino lays out several of their newer boards by the way.

Lefty

pluggy

Aug 27, 2009, 12:39 am Last Edit: Aug 27, 2009, 12:40 am by stephen_t Reason: 1
I got around it another way, I soldered the 3 strips (with short pins) that do fit onto stripboard through the holes using the arduino as a jig. The last strip I bent over at 90 degrees edge on and at 45 degees from above. The pins then met the strips on the board flat at their ends and then I soldered them in place again with the board as a jig. Wouldn't like to make hundreds like this though  :)

TallerGiant's solution is great. Anyone know anyone on the 'team' for the 2010 model ?
http://pluggy.is-a-geek.com/index.html

TallerGiant

Thanks lefty!

The Seeeduino v2.12 looks like it might be my cup of tea.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/seeeduino-v212-fully-assembled-arduino-compatible-p-389.html

It would still be nice for this type of mod to become part of the official Arduino boards.

Go Up