Go Down

Topic: Duemilanove USB connector (suggestion) (Read 727 times) previous topic - next topic

danvm

Seems every shield in existence is designed with one PTH part or another directly above the USB connector, making for shorts left and right. I don't know about anyone else but to me 'Tape on the shroud' seems like a hokey workaround to a (in my opinion) major design flaw.

Has anyone considered using a mini-b connector instead of the full one? I for one would love to see a Mini-b board.

retrolefty

Apr 12, 2010, 05:46 am Last Edit: Apr 12, 2010, 05:47 am by retrolefty Reason: 1
Has anyone considered using a mini-b connector instead of the full one?

You mean like Seeeduino boards:

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/seeeduino-v328-fully-assembledatmega-328-p-439.html?cPath=27&zenid=9f6118c193cee9f8b7337d4df91a2eca

They also provide extra solder pads so all the shield connectors can be on a .1" X .1" grid to facilitate using standard perf board shields.

Lefty

westfw

Also the NKC and Solarbotics Freeduino clones also use mini-B connectors.

mowcius

Seems every shield in existence is designed with one PTH part or another directly above the USB connector, making for shorts left and right. I don't know about anyone else but to me 'Tape on the shroud' seems like a hokey workaround to a (in my opinion) major design flaw.

Well I think all the shields I have account for that and position components around it. Yeah it can be a problem. Thick tape does work fine though.

Mowcius

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy