Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Duemilanove USB connector (suggestion)  (Read 530 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Seems every shield in existence is designed with one PTH part or another directly above the USB connector, making for shorts left and right. I don't know about anyone else but to me 'Tape on the shroud' seems like a hokey workaround to a (in my opinion) major design flaw.

Has anyone considered using a mini-b connector instead of the full one? I for one would love to see a Mini-b board.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Has anyone considered using a mini-b connector instead of the full one?

You mean like Seeeduino boards:

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/seeeduino-v328-fully-assembledatmega-328-p-439.html?cPath=27&zenid=9f6118c193cee9f8b7337d4df91a2eca

They also provide extra solder pads so all the shield connectors can be on a .1" X .1" grid to facilitate using standard perf board shields.

Lefty
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 10:47:35 pm by retrolefty » Logged

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

Also the NKC and Solarbotics Freeduino clones also use mini-B connectors.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Seems every shield in existence is designed with one PTH part or another directly above the USB connector, making for shorts left and right. I don't know about anyone else but to me 'Tape on the shroud' seems like a hokey workaround to a (in my opinion) major design flaw.
Well I think all the shields I have account for that and position components around it. Yeah it can be a problem. Thick tape does work fine though.

Mowcius

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: