Go Down

Topic: pvc film thickness: i need to measure pvc (plastic) film thickness !!!! (Read 3500 times) previous topic - next topic

mianyaasser

advice required !!!
i need to measure thickness  of pvc film  which is normally 17 - 19 microns in thickness. 
how could i do that measure it precisely ..?

CrossRoads

With a micrometer.
I don't know if any of these go that small, but you get the idea of what to look for.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=caliper
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

mianyaasser

advice required !!!
i need to measure thickness  of pvc film  which is normally 17 - 19 microns in thickness. 
how could i  measure it precisely ..?

mrburnette

Mar 27, 2014, 09:33 pm Last Edit: Mar 27, 2014, 09:34 pm by mrburnette Reason: 1
i need to measure thickness  of pvc film  which is normally 17 - 19 microns in thickness.  

PVC is an excellent insulator.  With two metal rollers on either side, you have a nice capacitor.  A capacitor value can be read with a variety of techniques... try searching the forum for capacitor measurement.

Ray

Added: http://www.ptonline.com/articles/capacitance-gauges-come-of-age-for-blown-film-thickness-control

PeterH

Is the film attached to a surface? If so you might be able to use the sort of sensors that are used for measuring paint thickness.

Henry_Best

Is the film transparent? If so, what are its optical properties?

Zapro

advice required !!!

I don't think you used enough !'s, so here are some extra.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

// Per.

mianyaasser

With a micrometer.
I don't know if any of these go that small, but you get the idea of what to look for.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=caliper

thanks !!!!
we use micrometer in lab but we need to constantly monitor during production .

mianyaasser

advice required !!!

I don't think you used enough !'s, so here are some extra.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

// Per.

LOL  :smiley-mr-green: :smiley-mr-green: :smiley-mr-green: :smiley-mr-green: :smiley-mr-green:

mianyaasser

Is the film transparent? If so, what are its optical properties?

dear !!! yes its transparent . and its an ordinary Polyethylene film.
we need to monitor its thickness during production.
thanks

mianyaasser

i need to measure thickness  of pvc film  which is normally 17 - 19 microns in thickness.  

PVC is an excellent insulator.  With two metal rollers on either side, you have a nice capacitor.  A capacitor value can be read with a variety of techniques... try searching the forum for capacitor measurement.

Ray

Added: http://www.ptonline.com/articles/capacitance-gauges-come-of-age-for-blown-film-thickness-control

thanks dear !!! very useful link.
can we do it via ultrasonic or laser.

CrossRoads

Oh, during production - and you probably want it automated as well, while it moves along between rollers or something.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

mianyaasser

Oh, during production - and you probably want it automated as well, while it moves along between rollers or something.

yes sir !!!
actually we want an on line thickness gauge.
(sorry ! im a newbee  :~, and dont know technical terms, i just learned this term while searching  )

PeterH

In that case you probably need somebody with a very good understanding of the mechanical, optical and electrical properties of the material you're trying to measure, to advise you.

mrburnette

can we do it via ultrasonic or laser.

PVC film can be created many, many ways and the physical attributes of the film will vary depending on the manufacturing and other (possible) proprietary steps.

Likely, the answer is "Yes', but PeterH suggestion on seeking advice is very sound and I also recommend that path.

Looking at Google, this search term provided interesting results:
pvc absorption spectrum thickness gauge

Ray

Go Up