Go Down

Topic: digitalRead not working correctly (Read 2084 times) previous topic - next topic

Hey guys,

After a few months not using arduino I decided to give it a try again, but it seems to be bugged now.

the digital read appears to be random. it changes from high to low whenever it contects with a wire, which is not connected to an energy source. I debugged it with a serialconnection and it indeed showed a random stream of 0 and 1's while only plain wire was connected. I have used different digital inputs but the bug remained.

Anyone knows what might be wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Before a digital input pin can be read reliably it must have either it's internal pull-up enabled, or an external pull up or pull down resistor wired up. If the digital input is wired to an external signal source that can actively sink or source current then no pull-up or down is required. The point is that a digital input pin not wired to anything is not seeing a valid logic level voltage, neither a high or low and should not be attempted to be read.

That make sense?

Yes, I used a 1M ohm resistor between the button and the input.

this is some of the code I used

Code: [Select]

global scope:
const int rotateInput = 31;
int b11;

pinMode(rotateInput, INPUT);

in the loop
Code: [Select]

b11 = digitalRead(rotateInput);
if(b11 == HIGH){
 other stuff;

Now when I checked, using a serial connection, what value b11 would get while I didn't press the button, it would be something like: 101010110101010101010101010100110. If I actually pressed the button it would be all 1111's.

I also tried it with the example button code, same story...

What did I do wrong?

Aug 29, 2010, 02:28 am Last Edit: Aug 29, 2010, 02:29 am by retrolefty Reason: 1
Yes, I used a 1M ohm resistor between the button and the input.

That is [glow]not[/glow] the same as having a pull-up or pull-down installed (not sure what you wired to the otherside of the button switch, +5 or ground?). It sounds like you need a pull-down, so wire a 10k ohm resistor from the input pin to ground.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131