Go Down

Topic: Suggested new Arduino: Arduino Piccolo? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Ayars

I really like the increasing capabilities of the Arduino. They keep getting better, with more memory and more speed and what's not to like about that?

But for a lot of what I do with Arduini, I don't need so much. For many projects, I need maybe 2-4 i/o lines, 1-2 PWM at most, and only rarely an ADC. It offends my sense of efficiency to take a microcontroller with 32k of memory and 20 i/o lines and, for example, build it into a carved pumpkin to turn on glowing red eyes (1 output) for two minutes any time the PIR sensor (1 input) trips.

I sometimes find myself using a PICAXE-08M for this sort of thing. It's smaller, lighter, cheaper, and has a built-in resonator that's accurate enough for timing pumpkin functions. But I don't like using the PICAXE. I dislike programming in BASIC in the first place, the PICAXE implementation of BASIC is annoyingly inconsistent, the supporting software (on a Mac, at least) is buggy as a cheap New York hotel, it's not open-source, and the user community is nowhere near as vibrant and helpful as this one.

Would it be possible to make a minimalist "Piccolo" platform from an ATtiny or some similar chip? Something with a removable (not surface-mounted) 8-pin DIP? Yes, something in direct competition with the PICAXE 8-pin proto-kit; but all open-source and Arduino-y.

I suppose the immediate solution for me would be to get a programmer and start learning how to roll my own ATtiny13 applications; but the ease of programming on the Arduino platform is addictive.

Anyway, it's a suggestion. I'll go back to lurking now.  :)

Rusty in Texas

And you haven't tried an ATtiny25/45/85 why???
Just program a regular Arduino as an ISP programmer
and plug a tiny[248]5 into a breadboard, as a few wires,
and program.

Check out:
   http://hlt.media.mit.edu/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.ArduinoATtiny4585

It has worked pretty good for me.

-Rusty-

Ayars

Why? Unfamiliarity. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it right away!

I'm a physicist, not an engineer, and all this stuff is new to me and self-taught besides. It's fun learning new things: thanks for the helpful link.

-ea

retrolefty

I'm a physicist, not an engineer, and all this stuff is new to me and self-taught besides. It's fun learning new things: thanks for the helpful link.

Being a physicist shouldn't discourge or disadvantage you TOO much from learning to use an Arduino.  ;D

Lefty

CrossRoads

You could also go with these
http://shop.moderndevice.com/products/rbbb-kit
for a little more versatility and ease of programmability via FTDI adapter.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Go Up