Go Down

Topic: Arduino Serial Problems (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

tomfleet

Oct 05, 2010, 12:48 pm Last Edit: Oct 05, 2010, 02:43 pm by tomfleet Reason: 1
Hi all,

I've got some code (there's a lot of it, hence why I'm not posting straight away) that polls two analog inputs, stores the values temporarily in RAM, then serves up a serial string consisting of a S/N and the two archived values.

Now, the code works, for a few minutes, then just seems to flake out, mid-string.

I'm using the default serial rate of 9600 bps, with a FT-232 Adapter board.

I've tried the code on a variety of boards (MEGA 1280, Mini Pro 328, Demilunovae and a selection of hand-built boards), to no avail...

Changing the program cycle frequency seems to have no effect, with the code eventually halting abruptly mid-string, every time(!).

Here's the function for sending the data string...

void transmit_packet(int RH,int temp)
{
  xb_awake();
  xb_init();
 // Serial.print("&");
   for (int i = 0; i<6;){
   Serial.print(serial);
   i++;}

Serial.print(",");
 // Serial.print("T=");
  Serial.print(temp);
  Serial.print(",");
  Serial.print(RH);
  Serial.println("");
  xb_sleep();
}

And the main program flow...

void loop()                        //MAIN PROGRAM

get_data();                      // Poll Analog Inputs
  transmit_packet(RH, temp);       // Pass data to xBee for transmission
  delay(transmission_delay);
  check_serial_num();

loop();                          // Loop Around
}

I haven't included the get_data function, as I don't think it's causing any problems, but its pretty simple, read A0 and A1, store to variables RH and temp.

The code seems to be breaking mid-flow of transmit_packet, and it's left me at a loss...  :-/

Has anyone experienced anything similar when going heavy on the Serial.print function?

Thanks all,

Tom

RuggedCircuits

Here's your problem:

Code: [Select]
void loop()                        //MAIN PROGRAM
{
 get_data();                      // Poll Analog Inputs
 transmit_packet(RH, temp);       // Pass data to xBee for transmission
 delay(transmission_delay);
 check_serial_num();

loop();                          // Loop Around [glow]<---- NOOOOO!!!!!!![/glow]
}

You should not have loop() calling itself as you will eventually smash the available stack space on the processor. loop() is called in a loop anyways...there is no need for you to keep calling it.

--
The Gadget Shield: accelerometer, RGB LED, IR transmit/receive, light sensor, potentiometers, pushbuttons

Herbert

Hi there.

I have a similar problem ith a NANO-board. That is that when I run a program that sends out strings (regular intervals ~ 1sec) the program seems to halt after a while when I don't read the data.
The program flow is monitored by an activity-led (13) when the data is sent. When I plug the USB back in or read data the program resets (values are re-initialized!)
The problem is that the board is intended for stand-alone use and sometimes can be monitored for correct functioning.

Anyone an idea?

Coding Badly

Anyone an idea?

Create a new topic in the Software section where your problem can be discussed.

Post your entire Sketch using code tags.

Include a detailed description of what is happening and what you expect to happen.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy