Go Down

Topic: Salem Oregon looking for Arduino group (Read 8407 times) previous topic - next topic

TheCapn

I'm looking for an arduino/electronics group Near salem oregon. I found one in portland but I don't have transportation. I'm super new to electronics i just got my arduino last month (march), I'd like to learn as much as I can but it is a struggle when learning on your own. my College doesn't seem to have any electronics groups that I know of, there are electronics programs but I'm working on getting my associates in computer information systems and technology.

shakorun

i dont know if there is a arduino group in salem but chemeketa does offer a class on it. Its elt 222 i am currently in it. My final is to make a rc robot with the arduino. But others are making different things you get to pick your final.

TheCapn

Hmm i'll have to check it out. I really wish their were some clubs around salem and chemeketa's gadget/rocketry club seems to be dead.  I wish i wasn't a noob it would be cool to have a club at chemeketa for arduino but i wouldn't know who to ask to start a club, but i wouldn't want to be in charge. due to my skill level.

Brad Burleson

May 16, 2014, 02:05 am Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 05:06 am by Brad Burleson Reason: 1
So it's not Salem, but you might find dorkbotpdx to be useful (http://http://dorkbotpdx.org/).

A bit of a drive but full of bi-weekly goodness.

Too bad Salem is a geek ghost town.

Regards,

Brad
KF7FER

EDIT:  Oops, I didn't read your first post close enough.  I see you probably know about them.

So... maybe it's time to start something like dorkbotsalem?  When you boil things down, dorkbotpdx is basically a group of guys getting together for beers, showing off their latest projects and talking all things geek for a couple of hours.

Just a thought, but if you could find a place that had beer and wifi (basic staples), maybe you could start having meetings someplace (try keeping dorkbot meeting nights free and you might find a few people willing to carpool).  Start off with a couple of guys bringing their current stuff... even if it's just a Uno and a breadboard... advertise on Craigslist or something... You wouldn't have to be an expert - just interested in making things.  Show your passion and everything else will follow.

Maybe that'd work?  (if you build it they will come...)

Regards,

Brad
KF7FER

Go Up