Go Down

Topic: Larger Arduino projects (Read 5147 times) previous topic - next topic

Oracle

Sorry for not explaining it better... the uShield Shield is a full sized shield that holds the voltage regulator and the additional i2c ports.  The uShields needs to have just the i2c device and some additional components.  Even the i2c bus adapter is a uShield, not a full sized shield.

So basically we were on the same track separately.  That' a good sign.

Why wouldn't the bus adapter be on the main shield though?  I have fairly limited experience with i2c, so maybe the answer is obvious.

Also, this is starting to sound a lot like http://www.phidgets.com/

spiffed

ok, exactly that, but with a different pinout... and it is priced like the nunchuk... interesting because Sparkfun used to charge like 35 bucks for the other accelerator breakout boards.

These sensors are marginally cheaper, and they admit to mucking up a small detail, but mostly I think these are cheaper because they have to compete with the nunchuck.
iDuino - MaxSerial - [url=http://spi

wayoda

Hi,
Hi,

The wiichuck is nice to do testing and prototyping, but it doesn't have a format that can be installed in a robot or in some project.  How do you attach it?  I know it is fairly priced and it is easy to play with, but the format is what makes it impractical for use in projects.

Look at these pictures  http://www.wiire.org/Wii/nunchuk
thats what's when all the palstic is gone...

Eberhard

In that case, if someone makes the investment to manufacture plain LIS302DL boards and can sell them at similar prices as the nunchuk, don't you think it is a better solution?  Wasting all those resources (extra plastic enclosing, packaging, etc) makes no sense in a green world that we all envision.

I would buy one! Absolutely! But I just don't think anybody around here can produce this board for a competitve price.

Here in germany the Nunchuck is ~ 20 Euro. I would throw in another 10 Euros because I appreciate the whole idea of open-source hardware. So I would be willing to spend 30 Euros for the 3-axis accelerator shield.

But just this morning I stumbled across the Ethernet-Shield-Kit from adafruit and it sold for 15 Euros (without  the Xport). If the LIS302DL boards go to similar prices (15 Euro + the chip) I think you are already past the maximum limit.

Not mentioned yet : postage+package ; Board is not assembled? I can't solder SMDs, I'm too old for that  :-X

I find everything in this thread very promising, but its really hard to beat the nunchuck ...
Eberhard

Oracle

I would buy one! Absolutely! But I just don't think anybody around here can produce this board for a competitve price.

Here in germany the Nunchuck is ~ 20 Euro. I would throw in another 10 Euros because I appreciate the whole idea of open-source hardware. So I would be willing to spend 30 Euros for the 3-axis accelerator shield.

But just this morning I stumbled across the Ethernet-Shield-Kit from adafruit and it sold for 15 Euros (without  the Xport). If the LIS302DL boards go to similar prices (15 Euro + the chip) I think you are already past the maximum limit.

Not mentioned yet : postage+package ; Board is not assembled? I can't solder SMDs, I'm too old for that  :-X

I find everything in this thread very promising, but its really hard to beat the nunchuck ...
Eberhard

At Digikey, the sensor is $7.70 when you buy 100.  Add a few square inches of PCB and some support components, and a level converter.  I think it can be done for well under 30 Euros.

spiffed

Some costs (in 100s) for an LIS302DL ushield that plugs into a bigger shield:
LIS302DL: $7.59
1sq in PCB: $0.64
Misc passives: $0.30 (two or three caps )
4 pin header: $0.07
----
$8.60

Even assuming Ladyada's 'double part cost' pricing system, we're looking $17.20US (10.90 Euro).

spiffed

Worst case cost, for something that plugs in exactly link a blinkM is another cap and a 3.3v regulator, so add about 0.60 cents to the part cost ($1.20 end cost).

Oracle

----
$8.60

Even assuming Ladyada's 'double part cost' pricing system, we're looking $17.20US (10.90 Euro).

Given that, I think we have a winning idea here.  But, what happens they have to buy the $17 board and a shield dock for another $20 or so?

wayoda

----
$8.60

This is not a non profit thing, or is it?

So add : phone calls, postage, package, taxes, customs
the list  is long and did not include a tiny bit of profit yet!

BTW : Things that sell in the states for 100$ usully sell for 100Euro over here :-(

And as I said I'll buy one maybe even more as soon as they are released...

Eberhard

spiffed

No it isn't, thats how we come up with an end price of $17.20US for a kit with a 'cost' of $8.60

Oracle

BTW : Things that sell in the states for 100$ usully sell for 100Euro over here :-(

Eberhard

No, it's not non-profit, the point is just that in can be done at lower cost than a nunchuk.  Postage and packaging would be extra for the whole order like other stores.  Taxes and customs would be charged to the recipient on delivery (at least that's what happens when I order a package from the states).

nkcelectronics

Hi,
Hi,

The wiichuck is nice to do testing and prototyping, but it doesn't have a format that can be installed in a robot or in some project.  How do you attach it?  I know it is fairly priced and it is easy to play with, but the format is what makes it impractical for use in projects.

Look at these pictures  http://www.wiire.org/Wii/nunchuk
thats what's when all the palstic is gone...

Eberhard

In that case, if someone makes the investment to manufacture plain LIS302DL boards and can sell them at similar prices as the nunchuk, don't you think it is a better solution?  Wasting all those resources (extra plastic enclosing, packaging, etc) makes no sense in a green world that we all envision.

Eberhard

sparkfun is already selling the LIS302DL board, assembled for $19.95... no need to pay 30 euros!  If sparkfun can do it, then an open source hardware project should be able to do it as well, and make it more Arduino friendly, by the way

nkcelectronics

----
$8.60

Eberhard

The small stuff you can buy it directly from US.  It ships nicely in aprox 1 week and no $ to euro direct conversion!

nkcelectronics

----
$8.60

Given that, I think we have a winning idea here.  But, what happens they have to buy the $17 board and a shield dock for another $20 or so?

The uShield dock you pay only once and it is for people that is going to use several i2c devices in an Arduino friendly format, stackable.  If you are going to plug just an accelerometer, then you can do it directly... except for the LIS302DL... it is a 2.5V device (actually 2.16 to 3.6), so you will need the i2c bus adapter board anyways.
It is strange, but the sparkfun site doesn't mention that you cannot use the LIS302DL with 5V... maybe they got too business oriented and forgot about engineering?  99% of MCU projects out there are still 5V, right?

spiffed

The uShield dock you pay only once and it is for people that is going to use several i2c devices in an Arduino friendly format, stackable.  If you are going to plug just an accelerometer, then you can do it directly... except for the LIS302DL... it is a 2.5V device (actually 2.16 to 3.6), so you will need the i2c bus adapter board anyways.
It is strange, but the sparkfun site doesn't mention that you cannot use the LIS302DL with 5V... maybe they got too business oriented and forgot about engineering?  99% of MCU projects out there are still 5V, right?

Actually, now I'm wondering, what does the nunchuck do about it? Since people plug them right in, don' they?

Oracle

Actually, now I'm wondering, what does the nunchuck do about it? Since people plug them right in, don' they?

Now that's an excellent question.  My guess would be that the ASIC in the nunchuck does some level conversion.

Go Up