Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: FT232 price jump  (Read 862 times)
Don't Panic
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Has anyone else noticed a considerable jump in the price of FT232 ICs? At mouser, the FT232RL (for instance) has gone from $2.90/50 to $3.85/50 (about a 32% increase). I've noticed similar pricing everywhere else. Sparkfun is now the cheapest distributor I can find; even Paralax is cheaper than the big-names for these. (I suspect they just haven't adjusted their prices yet.)

Mouser was unable to speculate on why they cost more, only that 'they had adjusted the price in late March'.

Has anyone else seen the same phenomena, know of a good distributor, know of a reason? I'm tempted to peg the falling US dollar, but I don't have a baseline for older non-USD costs.

iDuino - MaxSerial - [url=http://spi

God Member
Arduino rocks!
View Profile

Where are the FTDI chips made?

My guess is that it's the US dollar.

I think I got a steal on my Dieci boards because I ordered them from the States and I don't think their price was updated to reflect how much their dollar has plunged since they bought them from the distributor.

Don't Panic
View Profile

Where are the FTDI chips made?
My BoL shows them made in Indonesia, but the company is located in the UK

iDuino - MaxSerial - [url=http://spi

Arduino rocks
View Profile

FTDI is based in scotland, & the USD/GBP has been doing steadily 2/1 for the last half year.

in general, however, prices do not perfectly track exchange rates. that includes my shop as well. smiley-razz

God Member
Arduino rocks!
View Profile

FTDI is based in scotland, & the USD/GBP has been doing steadily 2/1 for the last half year.

in general, however, prices do not perfectly track exchange rates. that includes my shop as well. smiley-razz

If they're made in Indonesia, it could explain the price hike, if the US dollar is dropping compared to their currency.  Even if the office is in the UK, their manufacturing costs would be rising in pounds or dollars.

I know it doesn't track exactly, which could explain why it's held steady for so long and then had to shoot up suddenly.

I noticed that it includes your shop, ladyada, which is one reason I bought mine from you.  I'm just sorry I didn't get a motor shield and maybe a second protoshield while I was paying the shipping anyway.  I did notice the Arduino went up 50 cents right before I ordered, but considering what the currency market is doing, I'm not complaining.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

i had to do some purchasing today and did notice some other goods increasing in price. as asia becomes wealthier, we will probably see many price increases. hopefully the quality will increase as well smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: