Go Down

Topic: New!! Arduino XBee Shield (Read 4985 times) previous topic - next topic

admin

The price should be identical to the current one.

There is no way to pre-order at the moment, it's only a few days away

massimo

Alicia

Hi all!
Xbee modules are not solder so that you can change it if you want (according to arduino design philosophy  ;)

webworm

Hi,

Thats great news...... how close to being able to order these ?

Cheers

Stuart

imagitronics

Put me down for one (two if the price is right!).

Excellent work.

Alicia

Hi all!
As we said, shields are being mounting right now!!! Due to many people asks for a place for reserving their shields we have the following link:
http://www.libelium.com/tienda/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=33&osCsid=bfe8a644ec91f17918e6e8025c3c7110

SmartProjects will put a similar link in its online shop next week.

You can make your orders and we start delivering on 1st August.

Best!

webworm

ehehe

Check out my blog, news will appear there in a day or two

No news ? Any news ? Some thing ?

Thanks

Stuart

ladyada

i am interested in just the circuit boards (25-50 pieces to start): its easy for me to make the kits up (i have lots of parts stocked).  then i could avoid the overseas shipping costs and import tariffs :(
that way you can spend less time putting parts in bags and more time designing new shields! :)

nkcelectronics

I have listed some Arduino XBee Shield PCBs on eBay.  You can search them by "Arduino XBee Shield" or clicking the next URL http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260144943442&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT.

Thank you Libelium for releasing the design as Creative Common.

Marcos Yarza

Aug 01, 2007, 01:26 pm Last Edit: Aug 02, 2007, 08:21 am by myarza Reason: 1
Hi!!

Finally XBee shield for Arduino is available, you can buy directly here

http://www.libelium.com/tienda/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=33&osCsid=0bbf3c132a346f2c0126995236372f80

Cheers

Marcos

englere

Hi!!

Finally XBee shield for Arduino is available, you can buy directly here

http://www.libelium.com/tienda/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=33&osCsid=0bbf3c132a346f2c0126995236372f80

I'm a little unsure of the way we can use these. I understand this replaces the processor and allows the PC to communicate with ZigBee targets located remotely.

1) What PC-side software is needed to communicate with the target boards? I guess we can just use a terminal program connected to a virtual serial port? This is fine and it lets me write PC-side programs in high order languages, which I'd like to do. But what about that cool mesh graphic display I saw on one of the XBee Sheild pages - is that PC program available to be downloaded?

2) Are there any target boards for AVRs that are easy to bring into this network, or do we have to wire up our own XBee modules to AVR boards? I guess the Arduino is not suitable for targets using this particular shield, since it replaces the processor?

Eric

Daniel

hey

you can put one of the XBee shields on an Arduino with its processor removed; in this configuration the Arduino/Xbee is serving as a wireless gateway/wireless USB connection for your computer.

If you take another Arduino (with its processor) and plug in an Xbee shield, it can exchange commands with the "gateway:" configuration described above. This second board can be programmed wirelessly. It works just like a regular Arduino does, except you don't have to press the reset button. Since the wireless connection is just a serial line replacement, anything a wired Arduino can do will function the same on a wireless-enabled board.

It's also possible (although this is more work), to have a bunch of Arudinos just talking to each other through the XBee modules, without a host PC connected to any of the USB jacks. Of course you could also have a bunch of Arduino/Xbee modules talking to eachoter and have one of them wired as in the first descritpion above, to pass data to a host PC.

Does that answer your question?

D

nkcelectronics

Eric, removing the processor from the arduino board to mount the XBee shield is not requiered... it is only to be able to use the XBee module, without having a development kit.  It is only used to communicate with the virtual (or physical) serial port to drive the XBee module.  

The real fun starts when using the XBee shield with an Arduino board WITH the processor on it.  You can eliminate the cable (serial or USB) between the Arduino board and the PC or Mac.  

englere

If you take another Arduino (with its processor) and plug in an Xbee shield, it can exchange commands with the "gateway:" configuration described above. This second board can be programmed wirelessly.

That's great news! With this new XBee ability the Arduino is one step closer to ruling the world.

I hope Sparkfun in the US will sell these shields also.

I'd also like to buy preassembled shields since my time is limited. I could see a need for a bunch of these. Are there any takers out there who may want to sell assembled XBee shields?

What about the mesh program - is that downloadable? There's a huge "wow factor" in showing someone a graphic display of a mesh network in operation.

Eric

Daniel

@englere,

Libelium is selling them, I think with the Xbee installed. Read earlier in the (long!) thread. As the design is released under CC, NKC electronics is producing and selling the raw boards. Check on Ebay for Xbee.

D

Alicia

Yes, we are selling with the Xbee installed.

Alicia.

Go Up