Go Down

Topic: New!! Arduino XBee Shield (Read 4868 times) previous topic - next topic

cerocca

Hi everybody,
I am new to the Arduino world, and I'm mainly interested in the use of arduino+xbee shield.
But there is something I'm not understanding.
Reading from the description of the Xbee Shield (http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoXbeeShield) I am struggling about the jumper settings:

1- USB position - if I leave the processor in its place, why should I expect that "If the microcontroller is left in the Arduino board, it will be able to talk to the computer normally via USB, but neither the computer nor the microcontroller will be able to talk to the Xbee module." ?

2- Xbee position - here I don't understand why "]the microcontroller will only be able to receive data from the Xbee module, not over USB from the computer".
Of course, thinking to a situation in which I am not using both the interfaces, why the processor should not receive data from the computer?

Maybe I am missing something really simple, many thanks to anybody who can help me to clarify this,

all the best

Cirutech

mellis

1- USB position - if I leave the processor in its place, why should I expect that "If the microcontroller is left in the Arduino board, it will be able to talk to the computer normally via USB, but neither the computer nor the microcontroller will be able to talk to the Xbee module." ?

In this case, the TX (transmit line) of both the microcontroller and XBee module are connected to the RX of the USB.  RX of both the microcontroller and XBee module are connected to the TX of the USB.  So the microcontroller can't talk to the XBee module (because they're not listening to each other's transmissions).  To be honest, I'm not exactly sure why the XBee module can't receive data from the USB connection, but that's what happened when I tried (alternatively, it may be that it is receiving data, but that the responses don't make it from the XBee module to the USB connection, so you can't tell that it received anything).

2- Xbee position - here I don't understand why "]the microcontroller will only be able to receive data from the Xbee module, not over USB from the computer".
Of course, thinking to a situation in which I am not using both the interfaces, why the processor should not receive data from the computer?

Even if you're not using the XBee module, if you have the jumpers in this position, it is still connected to the microcontroller.  This connection interferes with the communication between the microcontroller and computer.

brenande

can this be used with the Bare Bones Board over at ModernDevice.com?  I would imagine it would have to be used on a breadboard or something...

mellis

To use XBee with the Bare Bones Board, your best bet is probably to just get the XBee module and the breakout board from Sparkfun and wire it up yourself on a breadboard.

steveb

Amit

Dec 25, 2007, 11:42 pm Last Edit: Dec 25, 2007, 11:42 pm by Amit Reason: 1
I don't know in which direction this went... I mean if this order option is still open. Anyway - I would like to buy a pair to support the project. I'm getting one from Libelium right away... but you will be selling to?

Love this project (Arduino) - feels like coming home ;-)

Amit

David Cuartielles

Hej Amit,

you can find it at different distributors around the world.

/d

thekidd

So umm..It wasn't that difficult to figure it all out but I think we need a walk-through/at least better pics. I'm gonna order another arduino something plus an xBee board and I'll make sure I come up with a walkthough on the latest board as there is none. Figured it might be helpful. Let me know. (step by step and such).

JAy1st

I'm interested !

I'll take one, and maybe a friend or two will take some as well ......

thekidd

Pick one up here

http://www.nkcelectronics.com/freeduino-arduino-xbee-shield-kit.html

Go Up