Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Homemade USB memory?  (Read 624 times)
Portland
you can hit me if you want do you want to hit me
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi all,

I'm looking to make some sort of USB drive for very cheap. It can be as small as 1000KB, all I want is for it to cost about $2-3 or less. Even the cheapest flash drives I can find are $5, not including shipping. I'd like to make at least 10, no more than 30. I can solder.

Is this possible? Any ideas?

Zach

God Member
View Profile

At this point no, it would not be possible.

Arduino does not have a native USB host interface.

There was a lot of discussion over on the obdev forums about creating a USB memory stick using an AVR for handling the USB protocol - in the end it just wasn't practical. The furthest they got was to have the AVR appear as a storage device, but it wasn't readable using the standard Windows file manager - custom software was required.

Hopefully in the future there will be higher powered microcontrollers which will be able to do what you want. It would be a very useful thing for a lot of applications, such as mobile robotics, datalogging etc.

Spend the $5!

Portland
you can hit me if you want do you want to hit me
View Profile

Ah yes, I should add that this doesn't actually have any specific tie-in to Arduino. I'm just looking for an all purpose USB drive. I couldn't think of a better place to ask this question. Does that make a difference?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 06:04:14 pm by zacharyr » Logged

Wuppertal/Germany
God Member
View Profile

Hi,
With only 3$ to spend? No, not possible!

Eberhard

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: