Go Down

Topic: Data radio modem selection help (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Hey guys,

I'm working on an autonomous UAV, and I'm trying to select a good data radio modem. The expected range at the competition is probably about 1 mile line-of-sight. Including a margin I'm guessing I want something with about a 1.5 mile range. I'm looking for something with a really simple RX-TX interface for serial communication. Also, since it's going into a small plane I'm looking for light weight and low power consumption characteristics. Obviously reliability would be nice so low bit rate errors and whatnot. I've found a hand full but I don't know if there are any makes out there that are particularly well suited and such. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

A fellow I know is using this module from MaxStream.  There is also a non-embedded model, in an enclosure with an RS232/DB9 interface.

Some high altitude ballooners have gotten 40+ miles direct line-of-sight.

Do you know if it is feasible to send video and data over the referenced datalink?  It seems like a pretty powerful link, and almost perfect for what I would like to use it for.  Also, does your friend have a development site which shows his project progress?

Nope, no project web site that I know of, and I'm having trouble remembering the name of the balloon project at the moment.

It's a digital (serial) link, max speed 115k baud, not sure how video would integrate over that link.  I don't know of a solution off the top of my head.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131