Go Down

Topic: Arduino Boot-Cloner (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

CosineKitty

Feb 21, 2007, 07:16 pm Last Edit: Feb 21, 2007, 07:17 pm by CosineKitty Reason: 1
Anybody want the simple schematic and commented source code?

Yes!

Would Arduino's website host an odd project like this? How should I go about doing that?

This is a perfect thing for the Arduino Playground.  It is a wiki for anyone to put stuff like this:

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/

You need to create a userid/password.  Most people make it the same userid as you use here, but it is a separate system from this message board.  I have written a couple of things in it; the syntax is very easy to learn.  You can always look at source code for other pages to see how things are done.  I can help out if you get stuck... just let me know.

admin

Very interesting!

You can put it online yourself on the arduino playground... anybody can sign up and post content!

send us a link when you're done

massimo

brainfart

OMG! An arduino virus!  :D

Amp

I'm glad there's people interested in it.

Here it is: an explanation, the schematic and source code.
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/BootCloner/BootCloner

I didn't add pictures of it on a breadboard; those parts are now being turned into a proper device, with an enclosure.
I'll probably amend a picture of the final device when I get that built.

There's other projects I'm either working on, or I've got done, that might also be suitable for the playground. Let me know which would be the best one to start on next, or if any shouldn't be added. Some are kind of redundant, or dependant on hardware that can't be purchased anymore.
1. seven-segment display multiplexed clock(s) -- several variations (illustrates ways of using fewer IO pins)
2. controller for a multiplexed 7x96 LED Moving Message Display (a complex design using sram to accelerate refreshing; it was a rebuilt device, the sign can't be bought anymore)
3. "nokia knock-off" 128x128 lcd controller optimized for speed (PORTB galore); also demonstrates a fast 12 bit color filling trick and a way to get handy binary constants, with enum.
4. my college capstone project: an inexpensive, built from scratch pda, with pseudo-wireless ethernet (to reduce cost, it's not true WiFi), dedicated to controlling an automated home (currently a work in progress, lots of potential for other projects)
5. OLED 128x128 18 bit color display SPI controller (a work in progress)
6. ATmega8 instruction set emulator - on an ATmega8 ~ for executing external code from ram, without constantly reburning the program flash ~ this'd be necessary for a pda's processor. (I haven't done it yet; largely it's inline assembly & some protocol for loading the code)
7. handheld movie player, derived from the "built from scratch pda" with minimal hardware (something I'd really like to start making, after the pda is finished)
8. using FPGA's as coprocessors (I'll be doing this in the next few months)
9. if tied in with another Arduino project, because it's a bit off-topic, I've got a useful technique for surface mount etching extremely fine traces by hand. It's easy and I might be the only person that's figured this out. Ideal for surface mount leads and ribbon cable connectors. I've never seen an SMD part too small to make an adapter for, with this. Only requires basic etching supplies, needle or fine pointed tool, sharp eyes or magnifying glass, and maybe a tweezers.

camillemoussette

Hi,

I would definitely be interested in your code/example for the "nokia knock-off" 128x128 lcd sold at Sparkfun.com. I got the unit working with BasisStamp, but I would much prefer to use it with Arduino, especially with the new Bluetooth board.

Thanks in advance. If you don't have time to setup a full tutorial, would it be possible to share hints for getting it to work your with Arduino. Is this tutorial (http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/SPIEEPROM) a good start?

Camille

Go Up