Go Down

Topic: Arduino scintillation counter Radiation (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

door144

I am trying to build this Instructable (http://www.instructables.com/id/Real-time-Radiation-Detector-Scintillino-test/) to no avail. I have built the whole thing but am still getting no reading. I have spend days working on it I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have went back a replaced every component tried to contact the individual who created this masterpiece but no luck. Any help guys  =(

door144

jremington

You need access to an oscilloscope to troubleshoot this circuit. Look for pulses coming out of the photomultiplier and go from there.
"It seems to run on some form of electricity"

door144

Ok I can get one by any chance do you know where I would attach the oscilloscope to in the circuit. What am I looking for in the oscilloscope I'm sorry I'm new to this. Thank you for the help 

jremington

Apr 10, 2014, 04:32 am Last Edit: Apr 10, 2014, 04:34 am by jremington Reason: 1
Ask the person from whom you borrow the oscilloscope to help. These instruments are not designed so that a beginner can figure out how to use them, without instruction.

door144

That can be done thank you. I have another question if anyone can take a look at the electrical diagram I think I keep shorting the DC DC step up. I will upload a photo here too.

Grumpy_Mike

The electrical diagram is fine. However you might be misinterpreting it. What makes you think it is shorting out?
Have you measured the voltage output of the converter with a multimeter? That will tell you.

door144

Here is the electrical diagram from the instructable. I think the SiPM is in backwards too. I'm not great at reading this.

jremington

I think the SiPM is in backwards too.
If you think you put it in backwards, try the other way. It won't work in the incorrect orientation. In an Instructable, you get what you pay for. This one is an example.

door144

Yes I think the SiPM is backwards. Does anyone know how to tweak it once I have the oscilloscope?

Grumpy_Mike

Does anyone know how to tweak it once I have the oscilloscope?

Tweek it for what?

door144

Just what am I looking for once I can test this with a oscilloscope? Should I vary the power going to the SiPM or chance resistors? 

jremington

Turn it around first. It may work after that.

door144

Its turned around but im still reading all 0's from the serial monitor  :~

Grumpy_Mike

Just what am I looking for once I can test this with a oscilloscope?

Pulses into the amplifier and pulses out of it.

Go Up