Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Author Topic: ZIFduino  (Read 5000 times)
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

wow, this is perfect for people who want to just program arduino chips, and then disconnect them and connect them to standalone devices!

this might aswell be considered a programer, since you can just program it, then just remove and put it in your application. And all the pins on the board can be considered pins for testing to make sure the chip works!

soon my friend, soon i shall buy one, be afraid, be afraid! you will soon be sending me one!!! lol

Arduino rocks
View Profile

You mean something like, oh, I don't know, maybe a 1.1"x2.3" bare bones, no frills board that just happens to be a slightly larger footprint than a 9 Volt battery so it could fit into a compact project box?

This is very preliminary.  I don't even know what to call it yet.  As I said before, my main goal has always been Halloween props.  The ZIFduino was just taking the scenic route. smiley-wink
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 09:55:36 pm by Bitty » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hello everyone! This question is about the ZIFduino. Are the 4 pins (CTS, DSR, DCD, RI from the FT232RL) marked as X3 on a Diecimila available on the ZIFduino board? I'd like to use a ZIFduino to burn bootloaders and sketches onto blank 168's using the bitbang mode of the FT232RL. For now I have a ZIF on a breadboard with LOTS of jumpers to my Diecimila and my OCD makes me cringe every time I look at it.  :o I think the coolest thing would be a ZIFduino with a row of DIP switches to "switch" it between a bootloader burner and normal Arduino.  8-)
-John

Arduino rocks
View Profile

No, they are not.  At the time the board was designed, I couldn't find any reference to anyone using them (or even suggesting any real possibilities) so I made a conscious decision to leave them out.  I'm curious, what are you doing that you need them?

The ICSP pins can be used to burn a bootloader, so in my opinion adding switches would be redundant and add unnecessary cost.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Oh, and I'm using the directions on this page (http://www.geocities.jp/arduino_diecimila/bootloader/index_en.html) to burn the bootloader and sketch onto a blank 168 using my Diecimila jumpered to my ZIF socket. Works great!
-John

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Lol! Bitty, we posted 1 minute apart.  ;D

I don't own a programmer to plug into the ICSP header so I've been using the bitbang mode of the FT232RL and avrdude to burn bootloaders.

Thanks for the quick replies.  smiley

-John
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 01:35:51 pm by TwistedRotors » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Jump to: