Go Down

Topic: Can only get Arduino Uno output on Arduino IDE (Read 437 times) previous topic - next topic

Monkeyz

Hello everyone

I'm measuring some data with my Arduino Uno and I want to send those data to my PC, which is running Lubuntu as its OS, so that I can work with them.

I can receive the data through the Serial Monitor build in the Arduino IDE and they are shown just the way I want.
When I try to get the data through the Terminal I cannot receive any of them.

I tried the following commands:
1)
Simply using
Code: [Select]
cat /dev/ttyACM0
2)
cat /dev/ttyACM0 | awk '{ for (i=0; i<NF; i++) printf $i + system("date +,%s")}'
3)
stty -F /dev/ttyACM0  cs8 9600 ignbrk -brkint -imaxbel -opost -onlcr -isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoctl -echoke noflsh -ixon -crtscts
tail -f /dev/ttyACM0

I searched the web nearly a whole day but couldn't find any solution which worked for me.

Robin2

I suspect you are facing a problem because opening the serial port causes the Arduino to reset.

If you wrote a special program (using Python, for example) to gather the data you would build in a process to wait until the Arduino had gone through its reset process.

Some of the other serial terminal programs (perhaps PuTTY) have the ability to save stuff to a file.

...R

Monkeyz

After some further searching I found the program screen or rather the command how I can connect to my port.

screen <serial_port> <baud_rate>
screen /dev/ttyACM0 9600

Then were my data shown and I could save those with the key combination 'Ctrl-A' and then 'H' into a file ( log-file ).
If I understood correctly there also is the possibility to save all the information which was shown until the moment you type the following commands into a file:
You have to be inside screen and then type 'Ctrl-A' and then ' : ' and then you have to type 'hardcode -h <filename>' where <filename> the name of the file is in which everything will be saved.

I also tried PuTTY but couldn't connect to my port. I have to say that I tried it just two times because at that time screen already worked.
Maybe someone can help me with PuTTY. I would like to know how it works with it, too.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy