Go Down

Topic: 4 Pair Punch-down blocks, what are these called? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic


Jan 25, 2009, 08:17 pm Last Edit: Jan 25, 2009, 09:41 pm by cscade Reason: 1
I can't think of anywhere else to post this, but I have no idea how to describe what I'm looking for. I'd like to build one of these;

And I have no idea what the parts are called that you punch down the wires into with a 110 tool. Not turning anything up with searches on Digi-Key.

I am going to use a DSL filter I had laying around to make that functionality work.

Anyone know? Thanks!


The only thing I've heard it called is a punch-down block.  I've never seen individual connectors, just the blocks.  These are becoming common at home improvement stores, so a trip to the local BORG may turn up a phone-only model that you could hack to add the DSL filter.

I see your subject says "Ethernet".  You cannot use a punchdown block with ethernet.  The 10/100/1000BASET standards all specify that the wires must be terminated into a standard RJ45 type connector on each end of the cable, with no splices.  There are also lots of other restrictions like how far the wires can be untwisted to facilitate punchdown and how many junctions are allowed (i.e. the little connectors that allow two patch cables  back-to-back are not allowed if you've already got a typical faceplate/wiring closet connection).



Correct. I should have said 4-pair UTP punchdown blocks, rather than use ethernet for shorthand. These types of blocks are actually used in ethernet applications however. For instance a Category 6 patch panel is covered with these buggers on the back, and RJ-45 ports immediately opposite them. Obviously you could not use them for an in-line splice though. The main concern for maintaining twist as long as possible is for noise rejection. In application in a residence however, there's not a lot of noise to be concerned with.

Even so, there's never a good excuse to be lazy in your terminations. I'm personally quite anal, so I agree with you  ;)

Good call on checking into what's available at my local BLOWES. I could possibly find something to hack on the cheap.

Im surprised these are not readily available for PCB mounting however.

Go Up