Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Author Topic: AVR with embedded USB?  (Read 5971 times)
I Love YaBB 2!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Pretty slick, dcb--you caught me; I hadn't looked  smiley.  Although I don't know that there's a good Arduino-environment-to-bootloadHID bridge yet (although if not, I'm sure there will be-- I just haven't looked).  

Now, this does still require building the external USB circuit for the AVRUSB usb port, right?  And since you're using AVRUSB there are still the other problems mentioned (manually calling refresh() periodically, which you may still have to do with LUFA (I haven't checked). And there are possibly some other issues.  So in actuality this doesn't change my usage much (my shield will still be essentially the same) but it's a great alternative to know about and if I was building an end-device I can see how you could set up sketches for serial port monitoring and stuff.  I'm academically curious to know if it flashes any faster (heh), but that's obviously not a big deal.

Cool development, though--thanks for being more insistent on bringing it to our attention!

New Zealand
God Member
Arduino pebbles
View Profile

but in the spirit of the thread: http://orbduino.sourceforge.net,
Thanks for uploading that. :-)

--Phil.

London
I love my 'duinos
View Profile

I've seen on the Teensy page that analog input is not supported:
"There are no analog inputs on the Teensy"

This is in spite of the AT90USB162 supposedly providing 8 ADC channels.

So is this a software limitation? What about AVROpendous, does it support analogRead() or equivalent?

I'm in a situation where I'd like to prototype with an AT90USBxxx to find a way around the well known serial-over-USB limitations inherent with the Arduino. However I don't really want to etch PCB's and solder SMT's if I can avoid it. So shelling out $20 or so for a teensy or opendous seems a much better option, especially if there's ready made, compatible software to go with it. But I need those analog inputs!

cheers,

/m

Arduino rocks
View Profile

The AT90USB162 does not have any ADC inputs.  It does have one analog comparator.  The larger USB AVRs do have 8 ADCs.

Your best bet for now is to buy an USBKey, 6 headers for your USBKey and some 24AWG wire so you can connect your USBKey to a solder-less prototyping breadboard.

Take a look at the LUFA library which is designed for and around the USBKey.

Good luck with your project.

London
I love my 'duinos
View Profile

Alright, that explains it - thanks!
I looked on avr freaks and it says "Analog-to-Digital Converter (10-bit)  8 ch".
Maybe a copy paste error?

In any case, thanks for the info. I'll either try the AT90USBKEY or roll my own proto board with one of the bigger AT90's - or wait until farnell uk starts stocking ATmega16U4.

London
I love my 'duinos
View Profile

BTW there is also the benito, a tiny, no-frills AT90USB162 pcb.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Jump to: