Go Down

Topic: Color Computer Shield (Read 745 times) previous topic - next topic

tim lindner

I would like help designing a Color Computer shield for the Arduino Mega.

For those who don't know the CoCo is a M6809 based computer from the 1980s.

I imagin a shield with a 40 pin card edge connector (for the CoCo cartridge port) on one end, and header pins for the Arduino on the other end.

I am hoping to design a very passive shield with little or no configurability. But I don't want to limit the kinds of projects avaiable.

Here is the CoCo cartridge port:

A0-A16 - The 6809's address bus.

D0-D7 - The 6809's data bus.

E Clock - Normally a 0.89 MHz clock. The clock generator in the CoCo is software selectable to double this.

Q Clock - Clock which leads E by 90 degrees.

CART* - a signal to the CoCo to immediaetly jump to ROM mapped in CTS* space.

+5 VDC - +5 volts DC, 300mA.

R/W* - Read/write signal from the CoCo.

CTS* - Cartridge (ROM) select. This goes low when the CPU is reading from $C000-$EFFF.

SND - Analog input routed to the TV speaker.

SCS* - Spare cartridge select. This goes low when the CPU is reading or writing to/from $FF40-$FF5F.

SLENB* - When put low by the external device it will have full control of the data bus. This allows overriding of internally (in the CoCo) mapped devices.

What would be a sane mapping to the Arduino's pins?

Some projects I have in mind:

? ROM emulator. Tied to CTS*.
? Data aquisition from the Arduino's analog input. Prolly tied to SCS*.
? Emulate a UART.

Anachrocomputer

Nice idea!  You may need to add an 8-bit latch to go between the bus of the 6809 and the I/O ports of the Arduino.  That way, the strict timing of the bus cycles won't matter to the Arduino.  I've been thinking about a way to do this on a 6502 machine (Compukit UK101) as a way to emulate the 6850 serial UART.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy