Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Anyone done any XBee/Arduino combo boards?  (Read 214 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Basically I'd like to have something more like a Pro Mini Arduino that has an XBee socket on it and still some amount of Arduino I/O, too.  But something much more tiny than a full size Arduino and XBee shield.  Anyone done anything like that?

--Donnie

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I've got this design, uses 1284P for extra SRAM.
Could make it smaller for you.
Or add the Xbee socket to a promini if that's all the processor you need.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

Yeah, that's definitely good, but I was thinking a lot smaller. 

I hadn't thought it through, but it would be really cool if the "married" product had a switch so you could program either the Arduino or the XBee via the same USB port, too. 

Safe to assume you've integrated lipo charging via solar in your design?  I've wondered about the requirements on the solar and lipo to power JUST an XBee running 24/7 as a router would be.  Obviously need to factor in worst case for sunlight, which is the most annoying variable.  That's a long way further down my project design, though.

To start I need to create the smallest XBee/Arduino "fob" that I can.  I don't need it powered all the time, but I do need it to be able to wake up within a couple seconds from a single button press.

--Donnie

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Well, write down some firm requirements, I'll send you a quote.
I think a promini married to xbee socket is doable, with FTDI header for programming via USB/Serial adapter, maybe a couple of jumper blocks to select whether '328P or Xbee gets connected to FTDI, or whether 328P & Xbee connect to each other.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

I realize it is not Xbee, but you might look at these.

http://shop.ciseco.co.uk/rf-328-arduino-atmega-328-compatible-radio-transceiver-rfu-328/

Small board with radio module. Been playing with the larger version (UNO sized board) and they seem pretty good. I didn't find the chip arial very good, but with a wire whip the range seems good.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: