Go Down

Topic: Electricity and water (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

loudg

Hello,
I need to recharge an object (30 cm height) electrically with the water flowing therethrough occasionally. 1 min = 15 litters of water. This object is connected at the smartphone with wifi. I thought of a micro hydro turbine. But I haven't found it yet. Does anyone have an idea?

Robin2

If you have 15 litres of water per minute falling 30cm it should be easy to work out the energy available.

Figuring out how much could be converted to electricity is another matter entirely. 10% might be optimistic.

...R

dlloyd

Apr 23, 2014, 10:00 pm Last Edit: Apr 23, 2014, 10:05 pm by dlloyd Reason: 1
This handles up to 20 L/min. (30 cm may not be enough drop).

MarkT

This handles up to 20 L/min. (30 cm may not be enough drop).

Well it needs 0.4 bar (40kPa) which is a head of 4.1m of water.

But more information please - is this mains water, a 30cm head of water, or what?

I'm not really sure we're talking about charging electronics hydraulically, perhaps
the OP wants a pump?
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

raschemmel

That's what I'm thinking.
@OP,
does this:
I need to recharge an object (30 cm height) electrically with the water flowing therethrough occasionally.   

MEAN:
FILL A CONTAINER USING AN ELECTRIC PUMP
?
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

loudg

To explain more precisely. This is a product frequently in contact with water. It can't move or be plugged into a grounded outlet. So it must be autonomous in terms of energy. It sends informations to my smartphone with WIFI (High energy so). When water passes through: 1 minute = 15 liters of water. I can't give an accurate data liters per day. It can be 5 liters or 100 liters, I don't know.
The product size : It's like a tube 30 cm long with a diameter of 4 cm.

So I thought to recharge it with a hydro turbine. I haven't other ideas.

For energy, my engineer said: We can do something with a turbine can give 500mW... with 5W, we should be quiet.

( Sorry for my English  :smiley-zipper: )

Thank you all for your answers

MarkT

Is the water under presssure or merely falling 30cm under gravity?

loudg

I think there is a little pressure, like the pressure coming out on the shower

dlloyd

To take a guess, something like this seems to meet your description of the device. Except with wifi and possibly data logging. Wouldn't solar panel and battery be feasible? A micro hydro turbine would be quite costly and difficult to install.

Robin2

What about making an old-fashioned water-wheel that turns a small electric motor as a generator?

Another thought is to flow the water through a tube containing a model boat propeller connected to a small electric motor.

...R

raschemmel

post a photo of the device and the connector you plan to use to charge it .
Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,<br />DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

Robin2

Seems a little premature since there is no sign of a generating machine yet :)

...R

raschemmel

Seems a little premature since there is no sign of a generating machine yet 

I need to recharge an object (30 cm height) electrically with the water flowing therethrough occasionally.   

I phrased that wrong. I meant post a photo of the device to be charged, (not the charger). My bad.

MarkT

I think there is a little pressure, like the pressure coming out on the shower

Well the power available depends on the pressure so knowing what it is is key.

raschemmel

We need to know how the device to be charged is wired and if it has a poer cable coming out of the tank.
Withoyt that we can't help you.

Go Up