Go Down

Topic: Newbie Question - Car Alarm (Read 936 times) previous topic - next topic

63Expert

Greetings,
I am completely new to Arduino, I did some small stuff with Picaxe a long time ago as part of a class.  I really want to learn how to do some of this and understand it fully.  For my first big project, I'd like to design a car alarm (I know I can buy one cheap, but where's the fun in that?).  So, I'm just looking at some simple inputs and outputs.  If the car door opens and after so long a period of time someone doesn't turn on the ignition then a light blinks or a relays closes, something along those lines.

I'm wondering if anyone has some example circuits combined with some lines of code that I could look at to serve as a guide?  I've looked at some of the tutorials and see some simple switches.  Here's one question I have right off the bat.  Most of the simple switches I see, the switching is done at the 5 volt level.  If I isolate the 12 volts from the car away from the 5 volts at the Arduino, but have them share a common ground, can I do the switching at ground instead of the 5 volts?  My example being that most car door switches go to ground when the car door is opened, so I would want the Arduino to sense that switch is going to ground.  Anyone already have a circuit drawn that would show how to do this?  I've done some forum searching and haven't came up with anything.

I appreciate any help you can send my way!
Thanks for such a great forum.
Kel

quadmasta

As a former car audio and electronics installer, I'll help you out a bit.  You'd be wise to not force the system to rely on a negative door trigger but leave it changeable via a hardware change, or do what DEI does and have both a positive and negative door trigger lead.

As far as relay switching, there's a couple of examples of how to do this using a transistor and blocking diode.  

63Expert

I appreciate the reply, and you are right, the option of two different inputs, both positive as well as negative is a good idea.  Can someone give me some guidence and direction on how to go about this?  I've seen the diagrams of using diodes and transistors to control relays, I fully understand that and shouldn't have any problems there.  It's the inputs that concern me.

Thanks,
Kel

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy