Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Author Topic: smallest arduino board?  (Read 8199 times)
Arduino stones
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I got some new boards in, but I can't assemble them yet because I ran out of sockets. I've got some on the way, but until then I thought I'd show off the bare boards.

At the top is a board with built-in usb. I made a mistake on this one that I didn't notice until after I sent my order, so I had to cut a trace in a couple of places. This board also had some slight manufacturing defects in the solder mask, but nothing that should affect functionality.

The next one is like the last version, but with icsp added and a bunch of cleaning-up done to the trace routing and silkscreens.

The last one is a mini version. Like the very first one I made, it is designed to be powered either by the ftdi cable or an external regulated supply. This one is even even smaller though, at about .66 square inches.

Each of these also has a solder jumper so that auto-reset can be disabled.

Norway
R-Doo-Inoo in the making :3
View Profile

nice boards smiley

B-dui in creation.

Austin, TX
Arduino rocks
View Profile

You are making good progress with these boards. I like the idea. If you want to see what is possible with SMD parts, check out my own om328p with Arduino bootloader.

Mike Perks
OakMicros.com
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 12:49:44 am by mikeperks » Logged

Mike Perks
oakmicros.com
See our om328p Arduino Compatible

Arduino stones
View Profile

Pictures!

San Francisco
View Profile

These are just awesome!  I'm completely sold on breadboardable *duinos.  Looking forward to getting more access to the rows than what iDuinos and Boarduinos offer.  Curious if you've consider a jumper header for getting power to the rails instead of running two leads, to further free up breadboard space.

My Arduino blog: http://jmsarduino.blogspot.com
Comprehensive (?) Arduino-compatible board list: http://tinyurl.com/allarduinos

Arduino stones
View Profile

A jumper header? I'm not sure how that would work, but it sounds interesting. Can you explain what you have in mind?

Arduino stones
View Profile

Oh, did you mean something like this?

You could certainly assemble any of them (except for the super-tiny one with no onboard power regulation) with male or female headers facing up. With long-lead headers, you could do that and still connect them to the breadboard.

San Francisco
View Profile

Yes, something like that-- a way to get power to the rails without using up  rows on the sides, freeing up a few rows adjacent to i/o pins for whatever is needed; maybe not that useful...smiley-razz

My Arduino blog: http://jmsarduino.blogspot.com
Comprehensive (?) Arduino-compatible board list: http://tinyurl.com/allarduinos

Arduino stones
View Profile

Here's another project I made with it:

Capacitive sensor array
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 02:02:05 pm by whosawhatsis » Logged

Arduino stones
View Profile

I'm looking for a way to replace the resonator with a crystal, but space is very limited, and I need to add capacitors with that. I'm playing with some SMD designs, but I really want to keep this one purely through-hole (I've also decided to stop working on the usb version). I'm thinking that a cylindrical package could work, but I can't find any that are less than 8.8mm long, and I only have a clearance of ~ 7mm. Anyone know of a 16 mhz cylinder crystal that's shorter, or know if it would be a problem to mount it at 45 degrees, or laid flat above its capacitors? I've never used one before, but what I've read suggests that they're more sensitive about their environment than other components.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 01:20:09 pm by whosawhatsis » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

hello whosawhatsis, is it possible to have a pcb layout in eagle or other format? thanks a lot.

Arduino stones
View Profile

All of my designs are kinda in flux, I haven't been keeping old versions of the files like I probably should have, and the current versions are all untested and need a lot of cleanup. I'd really rather wait until the "final" version to distribute the files.

In the meantime, here's a peak at my newest design. It's a similar concept (tiny, breadboardable arduino with a .3" span), but this one is all-SMD. BTW, I never would have guessed that a TQFP would be easier to solder than a 603...

Norway
R-Doo-Inoo in the making :3
View Profile

lookin good smiley

i havnt tried a smd type arduino yet.

B-dui in creation.

Austin, TX
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I'm thinking that a cylindrical package could work, but I can't find any that are less than 8.8mm long, and I only have a clearance of ~ 7mm. Anyone know of a 16 mhz cylinder crystal that's shorter, or know if it would be a problem to mount it at 45 degrees, or laid flat above its capacitors? I've never used one before, but what I've read suggests that they're more sensitive about their environment than other components.
There aren't any cylindrical crystals shorter than 8.8mm that I know of. The ECS is slightly shorter than the Citizen one and doesn't exactly match the datasheet dimensions.

It is possible to put the crystal on top of other components and in particular the AVR chip. See the OakMicros om644p for an example. of course the mega328p is a smaller chip than the mega644p. You should avoid long traces for the crystal and have the caps also close by. I think a crystal is far superior to a resonator as it is more accurate and less prone to drift.

Mike Perks
oakmicros.com
See our om328p Arduino Compatible

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Check the size of the 16mhz crystal used by the Seeeduino Mega, it's the package closest to the avr1280 chip and measures about 4mm X 3.2mm.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/seeeduino-mega-fully-assembled-p-438.html?zenid=9f6118c193cee9f8b7337d4df91a2eca

Lefty

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: