Go Down

Topic: Designing a new shield - how? (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic

hlfshell

Hello,

I'm sorry if this is clearly stated elsewhere, but I searched the site and used the search engine but couldn't find anything.

I have an idea for a new shield for Arduino, but want to design the PCB in software first. I was wondering if there is a template file for an arduino shield (the dimensions of the pcb and the pins that connect it to the Arduino.) If there is a file I can use then there is no sense drawing it from scratch and wasting the effort.

Thanks!

PS - what suggestions do you guys have for free PCB designing software? I'm quickly growing tired of Eagle CAD.

ladyada

http://ladyada.net/make/pshield/download.html is a shield design with the shape & all the pins. just delete what you dont want!

hlfshell

Thanks ladyada! PS I'm a huge fan of your protoshield and adafruit.com (and your Arduino tutorials. I'm using them to teach friends the basics) so thank you everything!

follower

PS - what suggestions do you guys have for free PCB designing software? I'm quickly growing tired of Eagle CAD.

Perhaps KiCad?

I've only played with KiCad a little and am yet to actually produce something with it but I like the idea of creating "truely open" designs that don't require a non-open application to produce or modify the designs. (My main initial reason for using KiCad over pcb was because I had more success at getting it working on Mac OS X.)

--Phil.

mellis

follower: it's great to see your notes on KiCad. I also feel that the dependence on proprietary software (even if it's free, like Eagle) is a problem (let's hope the source for Java makes it out of Sun soon).  If anyone wants to port any of the Eagle templates to KiCad or PCB or other open-source tools, that would be great.  (Or can you just edit Eagle files with those programs?)  

Also, I know we don't have much documentation on creating new hardware designs.  If anyone wanted to write some, that would also be awesome.  I'm not really a hardware guy, so I don't want to give people bad advice.  :)

Go Up