Go Down

Topic: Big LED Ambient System (Read 2431 times) previous topic - next topic

jopemaro

Hi!

I'm interested in doing the same project as you!

Could you please tell me the matial you've used?

Youran

Sure, I'd be happy to share this project !

Please note, my project is long from finished, I've just received my Arduino Mega yesterday and a bunch of piranha leds is on their way.
But I've already figured out most things in my head.

I'll use the mosfets that were recommended here ( still have to order them ) and an external PSU to power the whole project.

As for the resistor values, I'll wait another week to order those until the LEDs arrive and I can test the correct values to use. ( Because in my case I'll need around 600 of them, so I don't want to end up havig bought the wrong ones. )

If you've got any more questions or suggestions, by all means post 'em :D

jopemaro

Thanks a lot!!

Why have you choosen the Arduino Mega?

I've read that the Mosfet has a Vgs of +-20V. Can The arduino provide it?

The Mosfet will regulate the current not the voltage isn´t it?

Thanks for your help  :D

Youran

Hmm it seems you know more about it than I do ( but then again, I'm just a novice in electromechanicals :D )
What exactly does the gate to source voltage do? Does it mean it needs a gate voltage of 20V to fully open/close (?) the circuit?

I never really wondered what it did, I suppose I was just going to wire it the way somebody would tell me to.

About the Arduino Mega, actually it's a Roboduino Mega (a fake yeah .. :p) but it was only 30 euro including shipping so I couldn't resist it  8-)

jopemaro

That is the ideia i have! I'm a novice too!

Do you have a plan?

Where are o from?

Where have you bougth the arduino?

ajb

Nov 02, 2009, 02:08 am Last Edit: Nov 02, 2009, 02:09 am by ajb Reason: 1
I've read that the Mosfet has a Vgs of +-20V. Can The arduino provide it?

IRF510 MOSFET has a Vgs of 2-4V.  5V from the Arduino will be fine to turn it on.  Other MOSFETS require higher gate-source voltages, but not the IRF510--that's why it's referred to as a "logic level" MOSFET, and why it's ideal for use in Arduino projects etc. where higher voltages are not readily available.

Youran

Thanks a lot for clarifying ajb !
I've just ordered mine from ebay :)

One more question though: When the MOSFET is half open, what exactly happens then? Does the output have the same voltage but less amperage? And will all my LEDs be equally bright?

@jopemaro: I'm from Belgium and I've always been fascinated by mood lights and decided to make my own.

The plan I currently have is what they've recommended me in this thread: tie all the cathodes of one color (with each connected to a resistor) to an IRF510 that is controlled by the Arduino.

I bought the Arduino Mega from ebay (yerobot). I'm really happy with their service (and ofcourse price). Mine was delivered in 3 days !
I'd say: go get your own :D
http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/Arduino-Mega-Clone-100-Arduino-Mega-Compatible_W0QQitemZ320442596467QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN?hash=item4a9bddfc73

jopemaro

How is it going?

Can we implement these solutions an this software in arduino??

http://www.ledcontroller.de.vu/

Thks

PaulS

The chip in that schematic is the ATMega8 which is the baby brother of the ATMega164 and ATMega328. So, yes, you should be able to implement the schematic using the Arduino. The software may, or may not, need tweaking.

jopemaro

Hi!

How is it going?

I'm still waiting for my arduino!

Youran

Dec 09, 2009, 07:53 pm Last Edit: Dec 09, 2009, 07:54 pm by Youran Reason: 1
I've been doing a lot of testing lately and found out that seperate RGB leds are indeed better than a single RGB led (which is exactly what people tried to tell me but I had to see it to believe it  :D)
A bunch of new leds is arriving from china this weekend, so that's one thing taken care of. Next thing I need to figure out now is the resistors to use. I'm wiring them up in what's called a 'Guru' schematic (see www.ledcalc.com) for most efficient energy consumtion.

I've already written some sample code that will blink my leds on the beat of the music but still struggling to get it to work as an ambilight. It's got something to do with DirectX. Anyway, that's just programming and can wait for later, right now I want the hardware to be done.

I'll probably won't be working on the project much for the coming month because exams are on, but I sure want it finished asap :)

Grumpy_Mike

You can't use high powered LEDs like this, if they take over 100mA then you need to supply them with a constant current rather than just a resistor to limit the current.

Youran

I think you misunderstood me there.. I'm using regular ultrabright LEDs, (If=20mA).
So when powered at 12V, I can have 5 red LEDs in series and let the resistor limit the remaining 2V.

Go Up