Go Down

Topic: Bluetooth + WiFi (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

stinkinrich88

Hello,

I'm totally new to Arduinos, but I want to make a device to log the name of every Bluetooth device that walks past, then send me that information over the wireless LAN network.

I have found an Arduino board with Bluetooth:

http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=114

and a WiFi "shield":

http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=456

Could you tell me if these will work together and be suitable for my project? Also, the price looks high, could I do this any cheaper?

Plus, any info about any other components I'll need (power supply, etc) would be great.

Thanks,

Rich

PaulS

Also, the price looks high, could I do this any cheaper?

Considering your user name, that's a strange question...

stinkinrich88

True! But I have to buy about 15 of these, I'm not *that* rich!

PaulS

Jan 18, 2010, 02:53 pm Last Edit: Jan 18, 2010, 02:54 pm by PaulS Reason: 1
I'm curious why you need to do this. I have enough trouble getting my bluetooth headset to talk to my phone, let alone getting it to talk to strangers.

stinkinrich88

The device wouldn't need to actually make a Bluetooth connection, just find the names of the Bluetooth phones nearby. This should be much easier (I hope).

I'm a PhD research student looking at opportunistic networks. I want to gather human trajectory information to be incorporated into an opportunistic network simulator.  :)

i-Bot

If you want Wifi, I don't think you will get a lower cost solution on Arduino.
Could you use the bluetooth for communication as well as for the inquiry ? I don't know if the WT11 has a limit to the number of inquiry results. You do appear to be able to get remote name and RSSI information using iwrap

The WLAN seems to be on SPI and the WT11 on serial, so you are OK on ports.

Go for it !

stinkinrich88

Hi, thanks for replying. I think I'm going to just buy a normal mini PC (about £100) plus bluetooth and wifi usb dongles for about £10. I think that'll work out cheaper (can't believe it, but seems true)

Thanks again, though

Go Up