Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Issue with Arduino Uno and Turnigy Marine 80A-HV ESC  (Read 166 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm currently attempting to control a brushless motor with an Arduino Uno through a Turnigy Marine 80A-HV ESC. I can reliably make the motor work through a standard RC transmitter/receiver, no problem. However, when I connect the Arduino, I get the "irregular throttle" signal. The thing is, I checked the output of the RC receiver against that of the Arduino in a scope, and as far as I can determine, I've got them both outputting the same PPM signal (same pulse width for the same throttle, same frequency, same peak voltage). The ESC is calibrated, and I'm putting both the receiver and the Arduino to full throttle before I connect the battery, which should put the ESC into programming mode, so there shouldn't be an arming issue going on.

I feel like I've got to be missing something really dumb and obvious. The only other thing I can think of is a lousy connection somewhere between the ESC and the board, but I wanted to see if anyone else had experience with something like this or had gotten this model of ESC to work with an Arduino before I start soldering.

View Profile

I've played around with some esc's and the arduino and one esc did not like the extreme end(s) of the servo command (0-180) .

Also do not hook up the middle pin (5V bec) of the esc to the arduino.

* ard2esc.JPG (72.49 KB, 765x670 - viewed 16 times.)

View Profile

Yes, it's hooked up correctly (signal and ground connected, no BEC power connection). I've tried pulses ranging between 500 and 2200 with no dice. The RC receiver spits out a PPM pulse ranging between 1125 us and 1875 us. Replicating that pulse with with the Arduino does not solve the problem.

View Profile

Esc's need a sequence to arm ( turn on motor control) themselves  so to not accidentally take a finger by a spinning prop.

Then some esc's can be programmed by certain stick (pulse width) positions.

For normal operation (not programming) on  some esc's the  the throttle is set at full on before hooking up the battery then after the (2?) beeps the throttle is set to the neutral position.

I have never done it but  it maybe possible to see what the actual pulse rate is by using the pulseIn command and monitoring what the esc is seeing.   A common ground between the receiver and arduino and a way to "splice" into the signal.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: