Go Down

Topic: Automotive grade arduino? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Karthanis

westfw - I sent you an IM....  I'd like to chat with you about the differences.

george_graves

Feb 20, 2010, 07:07 am Last Edit: Feb 20, 2010, 07:08 am by george_graves Reason: 1
Why don't you do it here so we all can learn.   ::)  Unless I'm missing the point of the forum.

Karthanis

I was thinking that it would be kinda off topic...  But am open to doing it here.  Should it be split to another topic though?

I'd like to use the 324P as my controller and use the 'duino software with it.  What is needed to do this?  HOW is it so different?

westfw

Well, the atmega324 is a 40-pin chip, rather than the 28-pin chip used in Arduino...
((oops.  I (now) see that you knew this already)
Other than that, it looks like a smaller-memory (32k flash) version of the ATmega644 chip used in "Sanguino", which means it should be pretty easy to put the arduino code on.

BTW, I posted the following off in another thread; I guess it should be repeated here:

(I don't know what people are looking at at digikey; I can't see and "eol" notices for any 328 varieties...)

The ATmega328 is not so much end-of-lifed as replaced by the nearly identical ATmega328P.  I think that the current generation of Arduinos has ALWAYS used the ATmega328P variety; it's just that the differences haven't been particularly relevant to the audience.  Certain particularly paranoid microcontroller customers will have to do another round of "qualification" testing of the chip within the context of their product to make sure that it REALLY hasn't changed in any significant way, but Arduino is not likely among these.

The Atmel site says that ATmega8, ATmega168, and ATmega168P, are ALL "not recommended for new designs."  They're replaced by ATmega8A and ATmega168PA respectively...

Go Up