Go Down

Topic: Safe mains switching shield? (Read 2428 times) previous topic - next topic

tep

For the one of the link, it has not to be strictly in line of sight. But of course...

If you need more modules than possible with one system you could add some from another brand (but test it for interferences).

Yeah it's for me the cheapest and the safest solution! :)

estranged

Liquidware made a RelaySquid thingie: http://www.liquidware.com/shop/show/RS/RelaySquid  sort of like a switching power strip.

ArduinoM

@cr0sh
But it isn't for the faint of heart, or the person who is inexperienced in AC voltages (especially household levels - and don't even think of industrial levels), or for the tinkerer/fiddler.

[scuicidal mode]
Well nobody becomes "experienced" without trying first
but it is dubius to do mains without a friend in the room
[/Scuicidal mode]  ;D

David

tep

I'm thinking again about my DX outlet idea... thinking about testing it out.

Did you read the description?
It seems to be wonderful:
Learning IR InfraRed remote receiver

That means you don't have to find out the IR code on the Arduino, but just decide the code you want to use!
So... lots of outlets possible.

(The only problem I see is that it seems quite loud... but for 4?...)

mowcius

The only problem I see is that it seems quite loud

Why loud?

tep

Look at the videos and at the first comment... I usually make less noise than that switching my lights on! Do you?
(and it could be quite annoying in a (sound) installation...)

mowcius

Hmm, yeah I had not thought of it being noisy.

Maybe just buy one and get a new quieter relay for it (SSR maybe).  :)

Mowcius

tep

Yes, but the point of buying it is that it is dead-simple and cheap...
I should buy one and see what I can do for the noise issue!

creatrope

I'd like to suggest using the X10 library and using a TW523 or PCS05 (or the much more reliable and powerful XTB-IIR).  You'll safely isolate your Arduino from the high voltage, and have a whole family of items to control.  

The relay/switching modules can be right next too or remotely located from where your Arduino is.   They are cheap.  Reliability runs the gamut between marginal and pretty good, but it's easy enough to find out.  You can even use your Arduino to receive state information back from the modules with this approach.

There's options to remotely locate your Arduino as well if you need to.

Good luck.  
Creatrope

tep

Yes I know about X10 and it's probably the best solution for home automation, quality but not the cheapest.

Anyway, I bought one DX outlet, and will let you know.

Go Up