Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: redefine NUM_LEDS (FastLED.h) in setup()  (Read 109 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hey, i'm currently working on a project to control a LED-strip (NEOPIXEL) with a rotary-switch (with push-button function).
To adress the LEDs i've includet FastLED.h, to encode the rotary, i includet the library Encoder.h.
Everything works almost well apart from the push-button, but thats a problem for an other thread!

Now i tried to optimize my sketch to (re-)set the "NUM_LEDS" only by "serial.input()" in "void setup()", but i only get a miss match of LED-adressing.

I know the problem is that i try to redefine the global constant in the setup()-function and this causes the failure, but i dont know why! I'm very new in arduino Cc-programming and not very firm with it.

In my code i set NUM_LEDS as global with
Code:
#include <FastLED.h> // use LED-library to adress the used LED-strip correctly
const byte NUM_LEDS = 75; // similar to #define NUM_LEDS 75
CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS]; // LED color-schema
and everything is fine.

Next, i re-defined NUM_LEDS in void setup() (at this point without serial-input read, its not  necessary for testing)
#include <FastLED.h>   // use LED-library to adress the used LED-strip correctly
const byte NUM_LEDS = 75; // similar to #define NUM_LEDS 75
CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS];   // LED color-schema
void setup() {
    #ifdef NUM_LEDS
    #undef NUM_LEDS
    #endif

#define NUM_LEDS 75
}
But with this config, the LED-adressing is miss matched. All LEDs light up and do anything else than it should do.

How can i reset / redefine NUM_LEDS in a correct way? I need the redefinition because i want to change the amount of LEDs dynamic and tell the amount at arduino startup.
Maybe, is there a way the to read serial input before the NUM_LEDS has to be defined and setup() get initialised ?

Attached the whole sketch

Thanks for every help.
Any other code-optimizations are welcome too smiley

* LED_rotary_Control.ino (9.19 KB - downloaded 2 times.)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 07:15:58 am by Paloik » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: