Go Down

Topic: redefine NUM_LEDS (FastLED.h) in setup() (Read 274 times) previous topic - next topic

Paloik

May 07, 2014, 02:09 pm Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 02:15 pm by Paloik Reason: 1
Hey, i'm currently working on a project to control a LED-strip (NEOPIXEL) with a rotary-switch (with push-button function).
To adress the LEDs i've includet FastLED.h, to encode the rotary, i includet the library Encoder.h.
Everything works almost well apart from the push-button, but thats a problem for an other thread!

Now i tried to optimize my sketch to (re-)set the "NUM_LEDS" only by "serial.input()" in "void setup()", but i only get a miss match of LED-adressing.

I know the problem is that i try to redefine the global constant in the setup()-function and this causes the failure, but i dont know why! I'm very new in arduino Cc-programming and not very firm with it.

In my code i set NUM_LEDS as global with
Code: [Select]

#include <FastLED.h> // use LED-library to adress the used LED-strip correctly
const byte NUM_LEDS = 75; // similar to #define NUM_LEDS 75
CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS]; // LED color-schema

and everything is fine.

Next, i re-defined NUM_LEDS in void setup() (at this point without serial-input read, its not  necessary for testing)

#include <FastLED.h>   // use LED-library to adress the used LED-strip correctly
const byte NUM_LEDS = 75; // similar to #define NUM_LEDS 75
CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS];   // LED color-schema
void setup() {
   #ifdef NUM_LEDS
   #undef NUM_LEDS
   #endif

#define NUM_LEDS 75
}

But with this config, the LED-adressing is miss matched. All LEDs light up and do anything else than it should do.

How can i reset / redefine NUM_LEDS in a correct way? I need the redefinition because i want to change the amount of LEDs dynamic and tell the amount at arduino startup.
Maybe, is there a way the to read serial input before the NUM_LEDS has to be defined and setup() get initialised ?

Attached the whole sketch

Thanks for every help.
Any other code-optimizations are welcome too :)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy