Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 8x8 LED matrix - all LEDS on  (Read 284 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Newbie alert !

I am trying to connect a dual color LED Matrix to my Uno. Have followed the instructions and using the code from a book.
The matrix is a YSM-1288CR3G2C2

the circuit uses 8 one K resistors, and 12 Uno pins, only using Red. (No shift register)

I know its difficult without seeing what I have done, but the odd thing is that all the LEDs are on all the time. I could understand if it didnt work at all, or the wrong LEDs were lit !

The code is supposed to produce a smiley face, and have tried another one which should scroll text, with the same result.

Have checked all the connections several times.
Any suggestions what I am doing wrong ?
thanks .. Mike

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Sounds like your multiplexing could be hosed.
Or your connections. 12 pins is not nearly enough - need 8 pins for common anodes, then 16 more for cathodes (or vivce versa - 16 for anodes, and 8 for cathodes).
Or 8/8 for just 1 color.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

sorry my explanation is wrong - it is using 16 pins for 1 color.

you are going to have to explain the multiplexing issue - what is it and what do I do about it ?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

First, get yourself a ULN2803. Connect one output each to the common cathodes. Connect the Common to the Arduino Gnd.
The Arduino will connect to the anodes via current limit resistors.
The Arduino will connect to the ULN2803 inputs.
You drive a pattern for column 1 on the anodes, and drive common cathode 1 on for 2ms.
You drive a pattern for column 2 on the anodes, and drive common cathode 2 on for 2ms.
Repeat for columns 3-4-5-6-7-8.
That is multiplexing. The eye/brain is tricked into thinking all 8 columns are on together.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: