Go Down

Topic: LCD QVGA Arduino shield (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic

florinc

Thank you Reggie for ruining my night (and probably many more) :)
At first I thought this is fake, but the code and explanations seem to make sense.

Reggie

They are different boards as far as I know but it does give you an idea of what you can do with an 8bit mcu, most of what the hackaday guy is doing is palmed off in the SD card as far as memory is concerned.  and for loading in very small images (sprites, icons, fonts etc.) it will be quicker than it needs to be  :)  I'm interested in either solution as both are usable on other MCU's, it's spi based so easily interfaced with anything, pick a winner.

Reggie

more interesting stuff, I googled the controller he's using and this turned up:

http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/LCD/ANBS1_00_03_LCDMigrating.pdf

thaieasyelec :)

mowcius

looks like it depends exactly what you implement as to what the memory requirements are, lose 3d and pacman and you've saved 16k of flash and 1k of ram  chop the sd stuff down to raw read/writes and it should be fine

Yes that's what I thought. I only really care about the SD read, and text on the LCD (maybe a few shapes etc), and the touch screen.

BL-TFT240320PLUS design as LCD TFT arduino shield. It can plug into Arduino Diecimila

I'm sure it can plug into it but it may not function properly. They are just being sneaky with wording!

Mowcius, thanks for the advertisement

Well I'm happy to point out good products to the arduino community.

Mowcius

Reggie

Looking at that product and the hackaday link to the 3d and pacman stuff, this *is* working, the hackaday link uses a screen ripped out of a £50 mp4 player, that turns out to be a standard sparkfun 320x240 screen, its running in 8bit, and the spi will be running at 2Mhz.....

It's pretty simple to see where the thing will choke, putting full frame video etc. will result in slowdown but updating 8x8 blocks as and when needed will be no issues.  I had to put a delay parameter in my 'shape movement' functions for the 6100 128x128 12bit lcd, so graphics is not going to be an problem.

whoami

Nov 04, 2009, 05:55 pm Last Edit: Nov 04, 2009, 06:35 pm by whoami Reason: 1
I tested on atmega16/32 16 bit and 8 bit mode. use only #define to change mode.
#ifdef LCD_8_BIT_MODE
     #define LCD_SET_DBH(x)      LCD_HI_PORT = x; \
                                         LCD_SET_LATCH(); \
                                         LCD_CLR_LATCH();
#else
     #define LCD_SET_DBH(x)      LCD_HI_PORT = x
#endif
It use more 2 instruction to latch hi value. Other is the same. speed is not difference so much.
You can view code on http://www.circuitidea.com
Font is convert to .h by font editor.
You need to know. AVR have more power. Arduino is simply for every one. But it is 8 bit with 28 pin.
Peti fatfs form chan is read only, single file system. But it take a little ram. http://elm-chan.org/fsw/ff/00index_p.html
Design idea
- We want to use LCD TFT QVGA. It use data 16 pin and control 5 pin. to use with arduino or small avr. we add latch chip to go to 8 bit 8 pin. using write mode only drop read pin. and put reset pin to AVR reset.
- Screen is not enough for application. We need more shield. But each shield design there own. It's hard to bundle to a project.
- We need storage. we add SD card.
- We write application. We found. We lost time keeper RTC. In new release we put it. Swap some pin for I2C port.

Reggie

Hi whoami, thanks for checking the 16bit side of things.  I know avr do better chips but my projects don't need anything better just yet :)

Reggie

That all sounds pretty much like what is happening on the nokia shield, although its implemented into the pcf8833 controller, its supposed to be bi-directional for the data pin but as there is no real gain from reading from the lcd (apart from internal info) they just didn't implement it in the library.  and like yourselves, on my nokia shield I know this thing will run on just a few pins + power, SS, CLK and MISO, backlight could be tied to +5 and reset just doesn't need to be attached either.

You could make it pin compatible with the shields but dont actually solder the pin headers, then its up to the user to decide whether they want it as a plain shield or something a bit more 'custom'.

whoami

This board use arduino pin addition 40 pin interface for other MCU.
There are many lcd shield (nokia shield, s65 shield, BL-TFT240320PLUS shield).
LCD TFT is the same.
- need to init.
- put pixel, line, rectangle is the same. may be same code.
- font depend on font generator.
Difference is screen interface(I2C, SPI, 8 bit, 16 bit), color deep, pixel and size.
The large screen need more speed to paint.
In the past I'm use S65 (not on arduino). It's use SPI mode. It take a time to draw full screen (132*176=23232). This module take nearly same time draw full screen (240x320=76800=23232*3.3).  Testing on draw full screen image.
Clear screen is too fast. done on inline function to take a low I/O resource.

Reggie

screen 'clear' depends on the method used, same for filling too, circle fill was slow on the nokia 6100, screen fill was super fast.  When are these screens going to come into stock?

whoami

First release was out of stock. New release come in 2 week.
You can order or booking via our distributors.
http://www.thaieasyelec.net/index.php/arduino/3-2-inch-tft-touch-screen-with-arduino-interface/p_68.html

mowcius

Ok, I will be limiting spending over the next two weeks. No food! Ok, maybe not that much!

Mowcius

Reggie

I have a birthday coming up, so I'll manage to squeeze one or 2 in I think :)

mowcius

I have a birthday coming up, so I'll manage to squeeze one or 2 in I think

I'm not waiting til february for mine :D

Early christmas present for me!

Mowcius

πЯ8

Since my exhaust valve idea I've been thinking about more car stuff I could do. What about an S-Class instrument panel? Dials and information are all on an LCD TFT so that at night you can use nightvision to see the road more clearly. A friend is a security engineer so nightvision hardware is free (within reason) and on the same site as this I found http://www.thaieasyelec.net/index.php/display-module/tft-with-tp/7-inch-tft-touch-screen-display/p_11.html.
Its shown running on an Arduino so at least that is ok. Im wondering if having two modules would be smarter idea though so I can run all input information through one then "stream" it to the output module for display.

As for the linked screen those features do seem to overwhelm but you don't have to use them all ;D

Go Up